Non-JW music teacher talks about JW.org

by Watchtower-Free 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I'm not sure I understand the hate for someone trying to"deconvert" JW kids. He doesn't appear to be pushing any particular replacement ideology, and when he talked about studying with JWs it was all about asking questions they couldn't answer. Besides it's not like teachers don't routinely push their own agenda be it environmental, political, economic or social. Furthermore how can someone be "deconverted" if they don't want to? Is everyone still subscribing to the JW notion that people are so weak and easily influenced that you have to carefully guard your reading material and association lest your faith be destroyed without your having any say in the matter? This is a guy that appears to be genuinely concerned for the well-being of kids that are throwing their lives away in service of a damaging, manipulative cult.

Would people be saying he's crossed a line if he called CPS due to physically abusive parents? To me that's a much more extreme measure to take than just asking the kid some questions to give him something to think about. He's not physically removing the kid from the home like CPS might, he's just doing a little too try to empower kids to leave an emotionally and mentally abusive situation that can be just as damaging, in some cases more so, as a physical abusive home.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

When a religious group proactively outreaches to people at their own homes to try to recruit them into their religion, it's entirely legitimate that others make pro-active efforts to deprogram them from the cult's claws.

EdenOne

• Simon
    Simon

I was good at music when I was in school. I came top in Music in the year I was in and was given the choice of instruments to learn including the Saxophone which one of the music teachers also played. The school would provide the instrument - how cool would that have been?!

Of course I couldn't because I wouldn't be able to play in the orchestra and take part in many of the events so it became another opportunity lost because of being a JW kid ...

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

ONLY have fun with other JWs. But better yet, never have fun at all. Never allow a JW kid to discover that non-dubs get together in a unified activity, learn to focus on a shared goal that actually produces something worthwhile, where they are appreciated by the group for their contribution to the goal. Never let a kid feel appreciated or uplifted or allow their self-esteem to develop except when they succumb to the zombie robot training.

"Good boy! You raised your hand in the meeting and commented on how we must obey the elders! I'm so proud."

Marina

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Fantastic video from an obviously extremely dedicated and caring teacher. I don't think he is singling out JWs at all...he probably doesn't have any other students who belong to a CULT given he seems to be a country guy there are probably no orthodox Jews etc ( who tend to live close together) and maybe a reletively high percentage of dubs.

As to the ex student friendship, ffs they share a love of music...they may be in a band together , the guy is probably in his twenties by now and an exJW who has shared his experiences with his friend and mentor who in turn is using his knowledge to try to benefit socially isolated CHILD CULT VICTIMS!!!

LETS GET IT RIGHT PEOPLE!!

EdenOne3 hours ago
    When a religious group proactively outreaches to people at their own homes to try to recruit them into their religion, it's entirely legitimate that others make pro-active efforts to deprogram them from the cult's claws.

Damn straight Eden one!!

Simon The school would provide the instrument - how cool would that have been?!
    Of course I couldn't because I wouldn't be able to play in the orchestra and take part in many of the events so it became another opportunity lost because of being a JW

Simon I feel for you...its gut wrenching to me when I hear this stuff. Who in hell would deny their kid an educational opportunity such as that which turns into a lifelong love?Heartbreaking stuff....we have one life and one chance.

• zeb
    zeb

Rebelfighter (p2) "when the Hell are they allowed to grow up and start to experience "

..that line jumped out to me. As I have stated recently jw young people are in my experience at least 2 years behind their peers 'in the world'.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Simon, I too am so sorry to hear that your deluded parents allowed that wonderful opportunity to be taken away from you. It breaks my heart. I want to thank you for providing the discussion forum to explore our thoughts and feelings about our own experience as Jehovah’s Witnesses. I find that I am rather torn about the subject.

On one hand, I think all teachers are entrusted to be compassionate, approachable role models who can also challenge and inspire our children in the classroom setting. My daughter is a teacher, and I admire her more than I can say. On the other hand, I do believe that parents have the right to raise their children as they see fit.

In retrospect, I would like to retract my statement that this teacher crossed the line in trying to “de-convert” his student. Actually, I think he acted in a responsible manner by approaching the parents for a Bible Study. He was up front in his approach. I do still have misgivings about a teacher taking a student aside privately to attempt to “de-convert” a student. Teachers are not cult experts of any kind, and they will never have the full story about what goes on behind closed doors. Because of that a teacher may not be aware of the full impact of his actions in a given situation.

My initial response was coming from the place that his man, even though he thought himself a friend, likely knew little of the student’s reality (his “norm”) at home. For me, as a teen in an abusive family, it would have been a blessing if my parents had been reported to Child Protective Services. Children from abusive homes are taught not to tell, so that didn’t happen. When my parents took away my prospects of going to a High School for the Arts, it wasn’t because they were JWs. It was because they were just not functioning at a level to support any of their five children in that manner.

As teen I personally adopted the JW family model as a norm that looked better to me than my experience and gave me hope that I could one day have a happy family life of my own. Yes, it’s a cult. I know that now, but I chose cult over crazy. I chose it for structure, and it served me well at the time. Let’s just say that, in my opinion, not one of the seven siblings in my blended family faired as well. There is the perfect storm of mental illness, drug and alcohol addiction and domestic violence in my family that is being carried on to the next generation to this day. I was able to put an end to that in my own family, and we are all out of the cult. It was a painful path, but it was mine to choose.

Who knows how things would have played out if a teacher had tried to extricate me from the cult. I like to think that I would not have turned down the scholarships I was offered, and I would have gone on to college and explored my many interests and talents, but realistically, that is not what happened in my family of origin. I guess I’m saying life is not black and white, and each situation is different, so I guess the only thing we can really do is use our best judgement, act out of kindness and tread lightly. I think this teacher did that, and is now doing all he can to educate the public and protect other families. He seems like a good man who is doing a valuable service by shedding light on damage done by the teachings of fundamentalist religions in general, not just JWs. All religions that teach that we as individuals are nothing and only live to serve god destroy human potential.

• millie210
    millie210

Sail Away,

Your post was incredibly touching to read.

To see a person retract something in light of new information is one way to judge a healthy IQ and EQ in an individual. You have demonstrated both.

What was it F.Scott Fitzgerald said about the sign of intelligence being to hold two opposing opinions at the same time and still function? When we do that in discussions such as we are having on this thread, the forum here is doing what it was designed to do. We all walk away more thoughtful people dont we?

I am happy to know you.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Millie, thank you. I am happy to know you as well and always enjoy your comments!

• Watchtower-Free

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit