Non-JW music teacher talks about JW.org

by Watchtower-Free 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• millie210
    millie210

I appreciate the two sides of the coin being offered above,

I think Simon makes a strong point that mentoring young people inherently carries the element of friendship.

One thing is for sure, a kid going through the school system is going to meet all kinds of people. That is part of getting ready for the larger world.

If this teacher didnt embrace the JW world view, arent there are other ways for a JW parent to teach their child to handle that rather than yanking the child out of the music program in their school?

I dont know if this became a mild vendetta at some point for this teacher or not but whether or not that is the case, if something he says is true, then it is true regardless.

His statement that you dont make kids strong by the techniques the Org uses (isolating and insulating) seems like a good one to me.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Yeah he does talk a little bit to much on his trying to help ones to leave the cult. He should have maybe left that out of this video.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

I know from experience growing up in an abusive family that a teacher who reaches out to an isolated, troubled teen literally saves lives. I went to 5 different high schools and can remember the Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry, English and French teachers by name who helped me see that there was something "normal" beyond my experience of "normal" at home and at the Kingdom Hall. None of these beautiful people hurt me or behaved inappropriately in any way. Kids need good, aproachable role models. That said, not one of them ever tried to de-convert me. That crosses a line that shouldn't be crossed.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I have one word for this video....AWESOME!

The teacher says something to the effect:

"If Jehovah's Witness children are considered strong spiritually, why do they need to be isolated and protected?"

...and if adult Jehovah's Witnesses consider themselves strong spiritually, why do they need to be isolated and protected? It stands to reason Jehovah's Witnesses are frail and are among the weaklings in society!

• Watchtower-Free
  • steve2
    steve2

As teachers the world over know all too well, children come from all kinds of adverse backgrounds and there are all kinds of barriers to children embarking on a course that will encourage their ongoing development.

He singles out JWs.

He could have just as easily singled out kids from the Exclusive Brethren, or Amish, or home-schooling environments (although the latter two would not come to his personal attention).

He could single out children who are exposed to polysubstances both at home and beyond (e.g., Dad's a drunk and Mom's popping benzos)

Or children whose parents are neglectful and/or caught up in careers whereby they lose touch with their children's developmental needs

Some children are too sheltered from life, whilst other children are too exposed to it without adequate resources to cope.

But he singles out JWs, doing their persecution-complex a world of good. Perhaps he does turn his attention to other children whose impediments to education are located in the home? So I'll reserve my judgement on that aspect.

He does come across as adversely "bitten" by the JW bug and feels a need to publicize his conclusions. And in doing that he risks appearing perhaps a little too invested in "winning" over his JW students beyond his brief as a school teacher.

Think of any belief or value you hold dearly. Now picture a teacher in a tug of war with you over that value. You might get a hint of what it is like for JW parents whose children have such a teacher.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I dont know if this became a mild vendetta at some point for this teacher or not but whether or not that is the case, if something he says is true, then it is true regardless.

The tyranny of facts! What matters is not what's true because there's no such thing. What matters is what works and this is dependent on the context. There is no such thing as "true regardless", or at least there shouldn't be. If we must use the word true is should be true because.

• Tech49
    Tech49

So about the video and the kid who "gives up" his interest in the violin....

Has anyone seen the videos of the songs that are made by WT.? They feature a full orchestra. Many hours are spent by the brothers and sisters at Bethel to put together these instrumental pieces. We are told to APPRECIATE the great gift we have been given with these musical symposiums. Where did they all learn to play so well? Was it just High School band? I seriously doubt it. How many went to a formal, "higher education" program to enhance their skills? I would venture out on a limb and say ALL OF THEM!

So, playing the violin, or bass, or trumpet, or cello, or flute, or trombone, or guitar, or harp, or drums, etc etc..... for WT music-making is ok....... but encouraging your children pursue their interests so that they can make a living with something they enjoy and are good at...is wrong?

The blatant hypocrisy is so obvious!!

• millie210
    millie210

Good point Tech.

There is a big difference in an orchestra and a marching band.

I thought in the school brochure of years gone by the real frown was on marching bands.

I knew lots of people in orchestra that were JWs. just not marching band. Most of the people who play an instrument well started at a younger age. Most JW parents could not afford the private lessons that would require. Plus if you are playing an instrument used in an orchestra, dont you need to play WITH people?

• millie210
    millie210

Millie-

slimboyfat
    The tyranny of facts! What matters is not what's true because there's no such thing. What matters is what works and this is dependent on the context. There is no such thing as "true regardless", or at least there shouldn't be. If we must use the word true is should be true because

As a member of the SlimBoy fan club I appreciate your point. Thank you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit