This one bible passage proves abortions are wrong and honoring Mary is right

by TTWSYF 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon
    The good things like foodbanks, homeless shelters, hospitals, universities, orphanages etc did not exist before Jesus's church gave them to the world.

You talk as though the Church invented charity. There is no evidence of that.

There is evidence that they got fucking rich fleecing people with BS though and abused children in orphanages.

And universities? They acted more to hold back science and learning, not to further it.

Your god is a psycho loser invented by psycho losers, but don't worry, nearly all of them are.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I would rather be forced to base my life on quotes from Kurt Vonnegut or Tommy Chong than by the Bible.

The Bible somehow "proves" whatever someone wants it to prove.
    Just suppose for a moment that the account of Mary and Elizabeth is fiction. Heck, suppose that Mary got knocked up and someone created a fantastical story about her virgin pregnancy.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Heck, suppose that Mary got knocked up and someone created a fantastical story about her virgin pregnancy.

Actually I read a while back that there were some manuscripts that relate the "Actual" Story of Mary. Supposedly Mary got pregnant by a young Roman soldier. The law of Israel forbid any girl to marry a gentile. At the same time any non-married pregnant Israelite girl was subject to being stone to death.

An older Jewish man took the opportunity to marry this young pregnant Jewish girl and spare her the death sentence. From there the story evolved into what we have today;

Mary the pregnant Virgin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbzc8rOgMsA

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Well going off the bible-rules, she'd have to marry him and then 'enjoy' the rest of her life being raped by her rapist owner.

Yeah, it's such a good moral book isn't it?! (not)

Good catch Simon

The ancient Hebrew laws of social behavior were so right and just weren't they ?

Let me rephrase the question to ....

Should a young innocent girl have to go through child birth and bring a up a child that a rapist inflicted onto her, keeping a constant reminder of how that pregnancy occurred to herself and latter maybe to that child. ?

Lets use your defined Christian moral standard which you express and uphold to make this decision as in the commandment toward love among your selves as you would be treated likewise.

ummm ..... gets a little difficult doesn't it ?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    TTWSYF The example of Jesus calling his mother 'woman' is not derogatory as the WTS would have you believe. Jesus was never disrespectful of or to his mother.

Yes I fully agree. Watchtower doesn’t really listen to their own reasoning sometimes. They hold Jesus up as the moral goalpost in whose footsteps you should walk, yet make assertions such as the one we’re discussing. That Mary was of no special significance to Jesus because he called her “woman”- thus insulting & rejecting her - because his mother’s, brother’s and sister’s were his disciples and whomsoever does the word of God.

Watchtower always has to read the most curmudgeonly and least charitable meaning into everything!! Rather than the kinder, more obvious meaning - in this case that he has many other Mothers, brothers and sisters.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

The Bible also proves that God is a moron. After, isn't this the same god that upon realizing that he had a few people that should be killed, decided the best way to do this was to create a massive flood on earth that killed 99.99% of all living things, while the gzillion of angels he had available snoozed and sat around?

What a great project manager.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

TTWSYF:

Jeff- Interesting passages for an adulterous wife. Clearly she bears more guilt than the adulterous husband. I do not consider those passages as an indicator that abortion is ok. It is like when Jesus said not to divorce and was rebutted with 'Moses said we could.' Jesus replied that it was because of 'your hardness of heart'.

The superstitious ritual for determining ‘guilt’ relies on ‘God doing a magic thing’ (though back in reality, whether the woman miscarries would have nothing to do with whether she’s ‘guilty’), so it can’t just be explained away as merely ‘Moses said we could’.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

TTWSYF:

Yet elite Roman and Greek citizens would have a slave boy or girl for sex.

Those evil Romans and Greeks. Numbers 31:17-18 totally okay though. 🤦‍♂️

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

pistolpete:

Mary got knocked up and someone created a fantastical story about her virgin pregnancy

That story is about as convincing as Jacob spending the whole night ‘wrestling’ with an ‘angel’ to get a ‘blessing’.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

RM123- aww that old switcheroo of replacing a growing fetus as being a fulling grow child born out of love and intention.

Quick science lesson- no charge. A fetus is a stage of development, it is not a 'thing'. The same goes for an embryo. That is only a stage of development too. Just like being an infant, a toddler, an adolescent, teenager or adult. A fetus of a dog is a dog, a fetus of a cat is a cat and the fetus of a human being is a human being. Thinking that a fetus is not a human being because it is a fetus is nothing short of cultural error and not based on science.

So you would want your daughter to born a child that she never wanted, that continuously reminds her what cased this birth/pregnancy for the rest of her life and to be a responsible parent and mother to this child as well.

She could give her child to another to raise. Maybe someone who had an abortion in the past and then couldn't have children. That would be a good story. Your alternative is to abort and have her remember when she want to have a family and bring back those very real feelings and wonderings about what could have been a more noble decision.

You sure are a godly man then full of sanctimonious self righteousness vindication.

I am neither. I am like everyone else here.

Simon You talk as though the Church invented charity. There is no evidence of that.

Actually, in protestant writer Thomas Woods book titled 'How the Catholic Church built Western Civilization' he notes an abundance of evidence that you have never heard of. Worth looking at to get a legit handle on true history.

There is evidence that they got fucking rich fleecing people with BS though and abused children in orphanages.

Really, how did the Catholic orphanages rate against other peoples' orphanages? Oh right, no one did it before. LOL Seriously though, if you looked to the people who gave the world the bible. You'd never think someone should marry their rapist. You'd never think lying is a good thing and you'd never think that the bible was a guide to life.

RM123 The ancient Hebrew laws of social behavior were so right and just weren't they ?

I reject this premise 100% What Christian follows the ancient Hebrew laws? As a Christian I acknowledge the Jewish God, but I'm a gentile. So are you. OT is not a guide to Christianity.

Should a young innocent girl have to go through child birth and bring a up a child that a rapist inflicted onto her, keeping a constant reminder of how that pregnancy occurred to herself and latter maybe to that child. ?

No, of course not. But that doesn't mean the best choice is to abort. I know women who have had abortions and I know women who have giving their children for adoption. I hold no judgement against the girl who aborts but we all would hold in higher esteem the woman who gave life instead of the other way.

Jeff The superstitious ritual for determining ‘guilt’ relies on ‘God doing a magic thing’ (though back in reality, whether the woman miscarries would have nothing to do with whether she’s ‘guilty’), so it can’t just be explained away as merely Moses said we could’.

Actually Jeff, the passage says that the woman in question must also ask for this along with the priest. Regardless, I am not Jewish, I only acknowledge that my God is theirs. I do not follow the bible as my guide through life. It is not made for that.

TTWSYF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit