Watchtower Doctrines JWs most commonly don't believe

by Diogenesister 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

There was a recent thread on another site where posters maintained that many of the *most* long-standing jw's don't believe at least one official Watchtower doctrine. I've even read reports from Bethelites saying they've heard Bethel overseers say they don't believe some Watchtower theology.

This made me think - I believe there are a few official doctrines that are common for many jw's to be either in denial about or simply not really believe ( often one and the same thing).

I'd say these are pretty high in the ranking:

That *everyone* Will die at Armageddon ( kids included) who are not jw's

The historicity of the flood

Gay People " choose" to be that way

Jesus is *only* the mediator for the 144,000

Can anyone think of more ( I haven't included Watchtower traditions like no beards, women participating more in cong responsibilities like sound booths, bible reading, literature desk etc and counting time but perhaps you guys would ) Perhaps someone would like to attempt a list in order of a rough percentage estimate of each "DODGY DOCTRINE"!!( not that they all aren't )

• Distracted
    Distracted

I remember they used to say that resurrected people (to an earthly resurrection) probably(?) won't be able to marry, have sex, or produce offspring. They would be like the angels. I'm sure people had problems with that one, especially if they lost a mate in death.The literature did not hold out any hope for a differing view on that point.

• compound complex
    compound complex

"In 1975, Knorr made a remarkable and candid statement to the Governing Body, which confirmed his growing disillusionment until his death two years later: ["]'"There are some things I know --- I know that Jehovah is God, that Christ Jesus is his Son, that he gave his life as a ransom for us, that there is a resurrection. OTHER THINGS I'M NOT SO CERTAIN ABOUT. 1914 --- I DON'T KNOW. WE HAVE TALKED ABOUT 1914 FOR A LONG TIME. WE MAY BE RIGHT AND I HOPE WE ARE."'["] Was this comment directed at his "oracle," Fred Franz, after the disappointing failure of the 1975 prophecy? And yet, not knowing if the date of 1914 was correct or not, Knorr went along with the absolutes taught by the Watch Tower Society about 1914 and everything else: that all their teachings are firmly "based on scripture," "in truth," and agreeing to the disfellowshipping of anyone who questions 1914, or any other constantly changing belief.

"Those whose beliefs were grounded in Scripture, who protected their faith with God's Word, including the words of Jesus, who resisted dogma change by Franz's whims, were condemned as "apostates," "evil servants," and a host of other derogatory adjectives. In doing so Franz and Knorr were faithfully following another practice of J.F. Rutherford." -- THE FOUR PRESIDENTS OF THE WATCH TOWER SOCIETY (JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES), Edmond C. Gruss, Editor, p. 39.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/126663/knorr-on-1914-dont-know-mouthy-alert

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Distracted I remember they used to say that resurrected people (to an earthly resurrection) probably(?) won't be able to marry, have sex, or produce offspring. They would be like the angels. I'm sure people had problems with that one, especially if they lost a mate in death.The literature did not hold out any hope for a differing view on that point.

Hi, thank you, good point! That's definitely one I remember " rumblings" about - I don't know if it is still "official"...I think they haven't mentioned it for a long time ( I guess they want to limit the flip flops!)

• pale.emperor
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Wow Compound Co. that's incredible about old Knorr!!

Its hard to be too sympathetic with him, though, as you would with a regular Jo. Although he went along with Cheif loony Fred Franz, the very least he could have done is out-law shunning and DF. That way, should others have his doubts, they would be spared the consequences he would never have had to face.

• bnybyt
    bnybyt

One doctrine that comes as a shock for JWs is that the Wt teaches that Jesus is not the Mediator for the "other sheep" nor the "great crowd" but for no one else than the 144k.

That can start some thinking as it did in my case.

But the usual response from the Wt hounders is that the literature teaches that for Jesus is the Mediator of the New Covenant and the GC and OS are not in the New Covenant.

Something else that isn't widely known by JWs is that the fist president of the Wt was William H. Conley not CTR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Conley

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Pale. Empower Great video, Thanks ! Did you do the video? I love the " Schindlers List" musical arrangement there.💓

I always tell people that family are allowed normal relations with DF ones and can *only not talk about spiritual things*. As far as I know, despite the horrible convention videos, that has never officially changed!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Diogenesister, I can't think of any in addition to the ones you mention.

Goes to show you yet again that people don't stay because of doctrine or believes, but because of other reasons that have nothing to do with what they teach or believe.

pale.emperor, that's a great video. Thanks for sharing.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Diogenesister:

I figured that might be appropriate here.

When I was at Bethel, I had opportunity to talk to both NHK and FWF, the latter regarding whether or not I was of the anointed. The spiritual headiness of Bethel life had many a young Witness aspiring towards Heaven. Poor Freddy! I talked with Brother Knorr about something more mundane, and he was very kind and helpful.

He, too, was a victim of victims. Yet, as you state, it would have been difficult feeling sympathy towards him on many, many other matters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit