Watchtower Doctrines JWs most commonly don't believe

by Diogenesister 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

Good video.

The quote from the 1960 Watchtower equating seeing a psychiatrist with "defeat" has since been superseded. In the 1980s, there was a Watchtower that "adjusted" the view - but I cannot remember a reference for it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

That answer would vary from one JWS to another, probably the most common would be that Armageddon is close and imminent.

• Steel
    Steel

I don't think the average jw likes to admit they essentially teach salvation though works and obedience and there dogma is one is outside of having a relationship with God.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    • Steel3 hours ago3 hours ago
      I don't think the average jw likes to admit they essentially teach salvation though works and obedience and there dogma is one is outside of having a relationship with God.

Yes, excellent point, thank you !This *definitely* comes under the denial category, as, despite numerous scriptures to the contrary, Watchtower dogma is as you say regarding essentially only works to gain salvation. This is a major one for sure.

Dislik Like

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Compound Co. Of course you are right, even the GovBod are victims of victims.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Yes it's true that the real motivation for being a JW is saving your neck at the mythical Big A. And indeed even the GB are also victims of human frailties but being rewarded for their ignorant rule over the peasants makes them responsible for their actions because they know what they are doing.

Ever the rebel as a beard wearing corduroy suited JW, I always tended towards scepticism and never believed in the devil nor in 1914. So surely most JWs have reservations about the truthfulness of some of the doctrines? Funny but I often mentioned my sincerely held belief that I thought that the devil was not literal and no one ever complained, perhaps they would today?

At its heart this cult is fascist by nature and only rewards JWs who totally conform because it sends a message to the world that they are unified, which they want others to read as "divinely inspired".

But heck, half of the JWs these days don't believe all the doctrines, it's not important; it's just the family religion.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Simple truth is most JWs do not now what they are supposed to believe. Even many COs I came across were thin on knowledge as supplied by WT over years. Many say they believe that their is great love in the brotherhood, get ill or in financial straits and the belief becomes naked reality, look after yourself bro or sis because we won't. They believe it but will not practise it?

• Ding
    Ding

This thread makes me think of JWs who attend meetings sporadically and do a token amount of field service even though the WT teaching is that what they are doing is nowhere near good enough to survive Armageddon or obtain a resurrection.

So what do they really believe?

Maybe they do it in order not to lose family and friends, yet they are always judged as spiritually weak or even bad association by those same people.

Then there are the superdubs who outdo everyone else in all the things JWs are supposed to do and still constantly fear that they aren't worthy.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

By their actions, most JW's demonstrate that they don't really believe that the end is as near as they say they do.

Anyone who truly believes that they are literally living in the last days, doesn't go on vacation or spend the weekend at a outdoor rock festival. (as a random example)

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

the more I delved into a resurrection into a paradise earth the more I thought how insane the idea was, the numbers alone cant add up, the prospect of these mutant beings being bought to life are the fantasies of a mad sci/fi fan with a very deranged imagination, utter madness. The Doomsday scenario of The Big A is a close second behind, more mind numbing madness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit