No pension no preparation for retirement

by Mikejw 96 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH:

Sorry, I wasn’t really offended by you. Just the idea in general. And far too many JWs would have this idea!

Believe me, if I were active in the JW religion now and attending I would certainly be approached at some point on the topic of $. I would end up having unpleasant words with some Witness when I told them No. It might even get heated if they laid on the usual B.S. I’m not interested in anybody’s ‘sacrifice’ or a ‘brotherhood’. It was no brotherhood back when I was criticized for working..Not only that, JWs have selective memory loss about people being criticized for working - especially when they want something.

Even though the Bible says if you don’t work you don’t eat, the Witnesses conveniently ignore scriptures they don’t like.

As we know, the religion has no infrastructure in place to help anybody and I don’t believe for one minute they care what happens to anybody - whether it’s bethelites who got sent home or people in congregations who were in the full-time ministry and never bothered their pretty heads about important things like work and retirement savings.

Yes, these needy JWs who didn’t plan are as you say ‘at the mercy of others’ and their handouts.. I am just glad that I am not anywhere near them because I would not be left alone.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

LongHairGal,

your if you were in, you would be approached for $ reminded me of a "sister" I took pity on and tried to help. She was sick and we went to visit and all her and the daughter's clothes and other laundry were in bags-dirty. I took it all home and washed, dried, folded it. She had no money, so every Sunday after meeting I brought her home with me along with the dirty clothes so she could do laundry. I came to realize she had mental issues ( she was brilliant in many ways and the best beautician but couldn't keep it together- happy one minute and screaming about something the next.)and told her she should try to get Social Security. ( she did and got it faster than anyone I ever knew.) So she got the disabiltiy and I also learned her parents gave her money and a car, etc. So I told her now that she had income, I would like a little money to pay for the use of washer and dryer ( way less than a laundry mat would charge.) Along about that time, she had fallen in my house and sued my insurance and bought herself a new washer and dryer, but as this all ran together, she took me before the brothers because I was greedy and wouldn't continue to let her do laundry free. So there are those with their hand out ready to use you. I was willing to help someone, not take them raise!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH:

I am sorry that happened to you with that sister, but this is typical in the Witness religion. You went over and above it seems. But, people will take what they can get. There are too many users looking to get something for nothing and capitalize on getting people to feel sorry for them!

The problem is that today this type of thing would be even more prevalent there with the number of ‘needy’ in the religion and JWs panicked about hitting retirement age with no preparation. I always said there are probably more needy people in the JW religion than anywhere else because of the teachings of the religion knocking people getting decent jobs and careers.. Knowing what I know, I’d have to be nuts to go anywhere near the place.

Even though I’m out 21 years, I am glad I’m not there now. I couldn’t stand all the appeals for money and guilt trips (not that it would work on me anyway).

The way they hated me years ago because I had a full time job, didn’t pioneer or do favors for all the Users - they’d hate me now because I wouldn’t give handouts. It’s ironic. In fact, it would not surprise me if they become very hostile as time goes on to those who don’t want to give charity to those there who never wanted to work!

• solomon
    solomon

I don’t think the elders really care about helping the poor jws anyway. It cramps their style and they can’t count the time.

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

I don’t think the elders really care about helping the poor jws anyway. It cramps their style and they can’t count the time.

-

I know of an old couple living so frugal they only have their state pension. Yet they still give £100 month to the world wide work.

they are struggling with bills, with the cost of living crisis getting worse I suggested they cut back to only £50 month donations (it was difficult to even say that as they are due hards him the faith)

their answer was no, think of all those brothers struggling for food and housing we are from a rich country and want to help them.

I couldn’t bring myself to say it because I don’t want anyone to know I’m PIMO. But do donations to the worldwide work go towards any JWs who are in poverty?

the answer is no. But the donations do go towards GB members and top dogs holidays flying first class and staying in posh hotels. I can say this with confidence. When I was in Bethel I know of a few branch visits of top dogs and I overheard that after his talks and his visit he and his wife went to a top hotel eating and drinking expensive food all paid for by the branch

• solomon
    solomon

Mike jw:

I have some worldly friends who used to volunteer on charity programs in poorer countries. They quit going because the charity they were “volunteering” for put them up in a fancy hotel and fed them expensive western meals all the while they were “building” the school. I put those words in quotations for a reason. By the time they were chauffeured in and out of the city to the job site they put about 2 hours a day on the building site. They told me themselves it’s all a big show. They asked why they can’t eat with the locals and were told the food probably wouldn’t be safe to eat.

They were so put off by the arrogant attitude of the organizers toward the people they were supposed to be helping that they never did it again and didn’t recommend it for others.

• solomon
    solomon

During COVID my wife and I had a monetary gift we wanted to give to needy members of the congregation. We had asked our group overseer to take the gift and distribute it anonymously as we didn’t know who was in need and we didn’t want the recognition.

All he did was give us the phone number of a family in the congregation and said give it to them yourself.

We ended up giving it to the local food bank. I guess the publishers can go there if they are hungry.

• solomon
    solomon

I guess I derailed the thread a bit. Yeah many jws don’t save for retirement as the big A is coming to save them.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

depending upon where you are living and the job situation, you barely get by let alone save for retirement. That being said, it doesn't help that JW discouraged getting educated so as to have better job placement opportunities. It doesn't help when it is put in front of you that the world is ending within a certain time frame.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Watchtower loves to frown on any education, but when their azz is in a sling they want "educated " Brothers to bail them out for free. I don't understand that? I wonder if there is educated people helping them fall on their azz? Now that would be entertaining.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit