No pension no preparation for retirement

by Mikejw 96 Replies latest jw friends

• Mikejw
    Mikejw
    joe134cdan hour ago

I have a relative who swallowed their nonsense, and is now suffering. Had photos up on her wall of all the pioneer schools he’s attended. Never married, no kids, and earring 70 is out on his own as far as caring for himself.

-

yes very sad, and yet he will be living in poverty and a burden on others saying to himself see Jehovah always provides what I need. It will be others ie the government or charity provide what he needs

• Mikejw
    Mikejw
    fulano3 hours ago

When has that rule changed that SP get flexible allowances? Do you mean it differs from country to country? That has always been the case. It used to be the same amount for everyone in the same country. We had around 500 Dutch guilders each (€250), and had to pay our own rent.

I remember it as the poorest years of my life.

-

wow you were special pioneers?

how many years, and how did you become special full time servants? If you have another thread explaining how you woke up I would love to read it.

but yes things have changed now depending on where you live.

some SPs I know said to the branch that the allowance wasn’t enough where they lived so they increased it. Same with rents, they are supposed to live somewhere modest but if they live somewhere where everyone lives in houses rather than apartments then they can have their rent paid on a nicer place. There is no limit.

also consider the congregation pays them so much for travel and car expenses, and often older brothers and sisters give them money

plus they are always eating out or if go to a cafe they are always treated.

• fulano
    fulano

Mike, you just look on my nick, there it is.

SP, Bethel, missionary, Brooklyn and Patterson. In that order.

• fulano
    fulano

SP were never paid for car or travel expenses Mike. I wonder sometimes…..

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

SP were never paid for car or travel expenses Mike. I wonder sometimes…..

-

Now they do going back to the hall and ministry, the congregation pays them travelling expenses

• fulano
    fulano

How much and when did this change?

• Mikejw
    Mikejw
    fulanoan hour ago

How much and when did this change?

-

not really a change my cong used to pay my travel when I was in bethel

also got my travel expenses for my convention paid, it’s just a case of one elder suggest and everyone votes

As long as there is enough donations

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I know a sister who married an older circuit overseer. she pioneered...in her 70's and nothing for her...she isn't well...gets the least SSI as near as I could learn about. What I understand from the Bible is Widows were to be looked after by the congregations if they had good reputation. If people fall on hard times, they are told to go to their relatives or to social services. I also understood a local retired CO gets some monthly money from the WT which he doesn't need and returns...- why wouldn't he think to give it to this sister in need? He knew of her circumstances.the congregations don't really take care of their own...it is lip service when they say they do. the service group overseer told me if I needed anything to let them know. They barely knew my name...they didn't know I had a husband, let alone that he had died.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH:

Look, the religion make a huge mistake when it told people for decades not to get decent jobs or careers.

Now there are too many JWs who are poor because they never prepared for retirement. The religion has no social programs whatsoever so naturally they are going to tell people to seek out relatives and social services.

When you say congregations ‘should take care of their own’ you must mean somebody going around with an envelope cornering people to give money. Well, I am somebody who was criticized for having a full-time job. I was shunned and not invited. If I had listened to the Witnesses I wouldn’t be Retired today. What makes you or anybody else think anybody has a right to pester ME for money for people there who never worked - after I got knocked for working?? And this would be constant and never ending.

Look! the ‘system’ there (if you want to call it that) - doesn’t work.

I’m glad I’m Out of the JW religion as I would never tolerate this garbage and the hypocrisy in this dysfunctional religion.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

LongHairGal,

You needlessly took offense. No one is pestering you that I know of. The Bible says if you don't work, you don't eat. It doesn't encourage not working. But some fell on hard times and were to be looked after James 1:27 The form of worship that is clean and undefilied from the standpoint of our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation, and to keep oneself without spot from the world. See also 1 Tim chapter 5. 1-10. The point I was actually trying to make is people were/are encouraged to give up the education and jobs and work for ( they are told Jehovah) the organization full time but the organization has no plan in place to take care of them... they age out so to speak and have nothing to show for their years...You are correct...that system doesn't work...it uses people up and reassigns them to the mercy of the world. There may be some who the WT pays a bit...Does anyone know how all of that works...I just know that some who sold out and went to work at bethel, were quickly dismissed when their health failed...they came back to the mercy of others who would help them. Nothing fair about any of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit