What Was "IT" That Finally Made You Leave The "Truth"?

by minimus 88 Replies latest jw friends

• wednesday
    wednesday

double standards for the "in crowd" and the rest of us (ie judgements from JC hearings)

lack of love and christian kindness and real caring. this is one of the things that identify a christlike person, most of them did not have it.

doctrine flip flops

refusing to admit when they had made mistakes and trying to blame it on the "over eager flock"

destroying peoples famlies and lives with their insane rulings, and DF practices.

forcing me to thank someone for visiting my mom, a faithful JWS, when she was old and in a Nursing home and needed them. I had to beg them to come see her. At her funeral, some expected a thank u. Would christ have done that?

Not allowing people who needed medical help to get it, this includes mental help, or blood transfusins.

Placing themselves in the seat of christ and having the nerve to insit others view them as representives of christ, surplanting the word of God.

the final straw, the child abuse and rape and spousal abuse issues

the pain of going to the KH became more than the pain of leaving.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Quite a lot of things -- which occurred when I was a translator in the French Bethel:

- Having to do less teaching (I was a special pioneer before) -- that is, less time to persuade myself while trying to persuade others.

- Dealing with the logical problems in the WT literature (when you have to translate every word of it a lot of flaws become apparent -- especially in F.W. Franz's productions at that time).

- Seeing the whole thing from "within the sanctuary": it was not so bad (the French Bethel was probably much cooler than the Brooklyn HQs), but it gradually demythologized the "organization" in my mind. Joking daily with a lot of people there, including some Bethel elders, about the WT doctrine and policies really opened my mind.

- Starting again to read something (novels, theology, philosophy) besides the WT literature, first to improve my literary skills (I had chosen to pioneer instead of going to college), then just for the pleasure of it.

- Learning Hebrew and Greek, first to be able to do a better work (especially when translating the Aid book), but later enjoying the ability to read the Bible without the NWT and the WT "explanations".

- And on top of that being in love -- the best thing to know what really matters in life and what doesn't.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I was raised in the "truth" so I never had the opportunity to see things from any other viewpoint. I was always convinced as a child that I had studied other religious beliefs, but really I had only seen them from the distorted view the WT places on them. And I had only considered them as far as how to disprove them when speaking to someone else. When I started to realize how many people there were who didn't think of things like the WT did but who led good lives that was a major turning point.

I also realized that the WT always demonizes "worldy" people. When I started to become friends with people on the internet who were worldy and they treated me like a real human being who matter it was so much in contrast to what I had been taught from by the WT about how these people were.

Early on in my questioning of the "truth" was the hypocritical attitude I saw over how to treat people. Gay rights were prevalent in the news at the time and even though articles in the magazines were quick to point out that gays should not be singled out for any special abuse from Christians that was exactly what I saw in the congregation. Every meeting someone went on a gay bashing tirade, every bible reading covered those same verses of condemnation, every car group in service was full of people who wanted to talk about how evil "those people" were, how disgusting "those people" were. It became very wearing. I started researching the bible verses in question and realized there was a certain amount of uncertainty and misinterpretation present, but it was all presented as fact. When I realized there were other Christian denominations who would love and accept me for being gay I'd had enough of the WT and that was that.

From that point on I started to unravel the scandals, the false doctrines. Pretty soon there was not much left of what I had been taught. I don't consider myself to be in the "truth" anymore, but unfortunate circumstances are still responsible for me being dragged to meetings and door to door, hell I'm still stuck giving talks. I can't wait to get out, it can not possible come soon enough. Good riddance!

• Red Witch
    Red Witch
    This makes me wonder whether people would have stayed in the congregation had they been treated better.....From what I can see, the answer is YES. I disagree, there are so many other causes for disillusionment. (sp?) I was maybe, 7 or 8, when I started realizing that many of those who returned from bethel were soon disfellowshiped. For what? I do not know I was too young. But it was obvious to me that something was very wrong, and not necessarily from those ex-bethelites. Just why did they return from our utlimate goal and clearly turn their backs on the organization? Well I was told that they just did not have good hearts? And I did not have a good heart if I questioned these things. From then on my goal was to prove myself worthy and to hopefully have a "good heart". I was baptised at 16, as this was then considered the age of recognition. What happened? Well no- one acknowledged this big step in my life! No, not even my parents, and my dad was the big CO! I then went on to marry a "brother" I did not love in order to 'get out of the house'. After that...The no oral sex rule, the admonition to stay with him even though I could count on being physically abused on a regular basis because of my independance and lack of respect, and his 'screwing around' because I wasn't showing him wifely love. Excuse me...he screwed around in order to get oral sex!!!! Well, he still got disfellowshiped but I was supposed to stay with him because he was the father of our 2 children (no-one would love them as much as their father) and maybe by my example he would come back into the Org. I faded, and found out later that he was most likely sexually abusing my daughter from birth to about 4yrs. Now, you want to know What Was "IT" That Finally Made Me Leave The "Truth"? F that Sht!
  • got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Thats horrible! Witness couples can't have oral sex, so whats the freaking point of getting married???!!!

Might as well cuff my carrot!

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    Thats horrible! Witness couples can't have oral sex, so whats the freaking point of getting married???!!!

Presumably to engage in "wholesome bible-approve hetrosexual intercourse". Almost reminds you of the Catholic church forbidding anything but the missionary position for years, and of course their stance on birth control.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Personally I love it when my wife makes the music with her mouth Biz, and I can dance under water and not get wet!

• Red Witch
    Red Witch
    i believe that's referred to as a 'hummer' Homey, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I like you Red Witch!

Lets meet up!

• Red Witch
    Red Witch
    Thank you Homey, you flatter me...but I am happily married at this time. And he's a young one, about your age, so I think this will be lasting a long time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit