What Was "IT" That Finally Made You Leave The "Truth"?

by minimus 88 Replies latest jw friends

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I agree with you 100% loving life. When I was in Bethel and I would complain to my parents about what I disliked about Bethel, I had the bad attitude. I felt like telling them why don't you go spend a week here and tell me what you think. Even my Father who is a very honest straight forward fellow would not agree with me about my complaints.

For Example:

In Bethel we use to have slang and terminologies like any other place. When I would use these at home we would get upset as if he were a Bethel Elder now! We use to use terms like BA for bad attitude or heavies for big shot elders or governing body members. Even one time I had a disagreement with a fellow Bethelite when I called him overrighteous and he responded by saying its better than being underrighteous! When I told this to my Father he agreed! But one thing my Father hated most n the world were phony overrighteous brothers. Its as if my going to bethel meant he was there also!

• minimus
    minimus

What other Bethel "lingo" was there???

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

There seemed to be a long fuse leading to the end of the "truth" but the bomb was 607. Boom! A couple of hours of research on the internet and it was over for me.

I keep hearing people say that it was the lack of love and I have to question that to a certain degree. I do agree that for me the friends I've made since are better quality but I did experience a lot of love from others in the JW religion. I think the reason this is such an issue with so many is because the JW's claim to be the only people in the world capable of love. You come to expect more but you actually see a little less. When the love is denied for religious reasons it leaves a wound and eventually you can't take it anymore. Right?

TimB

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I cant really remember anymore but I remember once Brother Gangas saw me in the dining room tunnels and he said hello to me and called me a "baby bethelite". There was something evil about him that I could never get my finger on, like he hated everyone beneath him or something. Yet he always had this silliness about him that he was so friendly and innocent yet he was a big time heavie making decisons for millions throughout the world who had real problems and needs and yet he was treated as royalty in this secure confine fortune 500 hostile.

I remember once he came to my congo. to give a talk and he stayed for the Watchtower study. My mother sat next to him and enjoyed his company. When we (my family) were home that night my mother in a friendly joking manner had said that Gangas had a little body odor on him. That set my Father off! He got so upset with my mother for saying that! And all the while Im saying to myself "he's just a man with a heavenly hope, he's not in heaven yet, he's still here on earth and so what, he has BO!!???" I truly do believe that Jehovahs Witnesses, especially lifers like me Mother and Father have mental problems, and this org. is somewhat of an anchor for them(?)

• Carmel
    Carmel

When I was baptized and none of the promises came true. Proved to me that the whole thing was a farse and built on propaganda and fear. Took me two years to physically get away, but then being dunked at 12 and having your eyes opened still doesn't prepare you to live on your own.

carmel

• Perry
    Perry

The changing of the generation doctrine.

• minimus
    minimus

The 1914 generation issue was probably the most damaging to anyone that actually had a brain. The Society tried to explain away decades of false prophecy. But, for many, where would they go??? As time settled in, they said, "Forgetaboutit...."

• aarque
    aarque

For a long time I endured being ignored, the subtle insults, the outright derogatory comments. I was a good sister...kept quiet, did what was expected. But when a so-called "loving" brother kept telling me that my dad was going to die at Armageddon because he was never a JW, thus reducing me to tears, I had enough. My parents have been married for more than 56 years. My mom became a JW shortly after they married. Even though he never converted, my dad was a hard-worker, supported his family, didn't drink, never ran around with other women, and taught us kids honesty, loyalty, dependability, responsibility and much more just by his example. To have some cretin insist that Dad was not good enough was more than I could handle. I faded away more than twenty years ago, and it still bothers me that someone would say such a thing. I'm not in the borg any longer...and I still have my Dad.

• minimus
    minimus

Well, according to them, your Dad is no good, still. If he doesn't accept and live by the truth right now, with Armageddon right around the corner, he's as good as dead. He's as dead to God as a squished ant........The brazeness of these people is outstanding! It's all about how they are the ONLY people on earth doing the will of God and how everyone else is the "living dead".

• lovinlife
    lovinlife

Hey ....forty homey, you are so right! Reading your post was like stepping into the past! BA....that's what I became just from being there at bethel! Isn't it amazing how blinded parents can be? My mother and father were so blinded, but they were sure to tell anyone and everyone that their kids were all at bethel! I think they loved the status they got for raising their kids so "successfully"...so that is why my mom could not possibly entertain the thought that everything wasn't "wonderful" at bethel.

I remember Bro Gangas too. Spent alot of time with him. Everybody thought he was so "sweet". But I secretly thought (couldn't share it then!) that he used that as a cover. I saw some of his reactions and heard some of his comments that just didn't ring true to his "sweet" image! He could be condescending when he wanted to be! And, he loved being the center of attention for sure. Is that what you thought? I could picture him very easily as the pope getting his ring kissed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit