Apple Computers

by toddy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• toddy
    toddy

Does anybody have opinions on Apple Mac Computers,im thinking of getting one of those imac G4's

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

You mean this one?

• toddy
    toddy

LOL Nos....I was thinking more along the lines of this one!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

If you want good graphics --nothing to touch them

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I am jealous already...... not really.

I am working with an imac and recently I gained a G4 computer with a very large monitor.
    Nothing is better then a Apple in my opinion - especially when you work with pictures.

(in fact I have 4 Apple computers at the moment - from which one is the second model brought out -ca.15 years old )

• sens
    sens

They Suck Dont Touch Em.....they arent worth the effort of unpacking.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I had one. I stress had one. The damn thing lasted 1 year and 9 months before first some video chip blew and after it was replaced the hard drive died two months later. Macs are crap. The computer I have now is used and much older than that Mac would be if it was not setting in Butler County Landfill. (Where it belongs!)

• sens
    sens

Im with you jay....

Some People Just cant handle a true beast....thats why the buy apples

well im off for some techno...2 many bad visuals here

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

I work on Macs daily and have for years. The problems I've have been minimal when compared to Windows users in the same offices. The new G5s are beautiful machines and no one I know who uses them has a complaint. Mac has also just released a new version of their operating sytem OSX (the X stands for the number 10). The system is Unix based and is by far the most stable operating platform I've used on a PC. All that being said, there are advantages and disadvantages to Mac.

Advantages:

Beautiful Industrial Design (this may not matter to a vast majority of people I admit)

Excellent Graphics

Dependable (in spite of what the previous poster said)

Fantastic and rock solid OS

Less susceptible to viruses (most viruses are written for Windows)

Standard models tend to be better equiped than Windows machines (although this seems to be quickly changing and you can configure a Windows machine equally with little hassle)

Comes with a lot of excellent free software -- iMovie (to edit video), iChat (multimedia chatting software), Mail (e-mail), iPhoto (photo editing and catologing), iDVD (for creating DVDs), iCal (calendar and scheduling), iTunes (MP3 and CD burning, now available for Windows), Safari (web browser), and often others. For example the machine I use at work came bundled with OmniGraffle (diagraming software), OmniOuliner, and QuickBooks (financial software).

Disadvantages:

Expensive

Did I say Expensive (Prices have dropped, but a similar Windows machine is still less expensive)

Less software (Much of this depends on what you will use the machine for. I've never lacked for software in my area - graphics.)

In the minority (Macs are less than 10% of PC users). This can be a problem if you work or share files with Windows users, depending again upon what you're working on.

In the end, it comes out to personal preference and what's important to you personally. There are unending debates at to which operating system is best (a lot like debating religion). I personally think the Mac OS is better and more intuitive, although the new OS is less intuitive than previously, but has been progressively narrowing the gap with each new iteration. The trade off has been more stability (i.e. dedicated memory that crashes only the program you're working and not the whole system) and more room for expansion. They had pushed the old OS as far as it could go.

My advice would be to carefully consider what you're going to use the machine for, what your budget is, and to thoroughly research all your options.

CPiolo

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    If you want good graphics --nothing to touch them

Yeah, maybe 10 years ago! Today there is no appreciable difference IMO. Photoshop kicks butt on both platforms. I wouldn't get one myself because there is very little software available (by comparison).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit