What was the first "Bad" CD/Record/Tape you ever bought?

by ColdRedRain 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

I guess when I started buying Hip Hop, Ja Rule being my first cd to purchase. It was too much hassle to find and buy the 'clean' versions so I bought whatever. The first time I played Nelly Country Grammar when a friend (a JW) was over. She said "what are you listening too????"

• undercover
    undercover

I owned a lot of 60s and early 70s stuff early on in my teens. Only the occasional album created a stir to my parents. They(my dad anyway) seemed to be a little more liberal than the elders and pioneers. But I do remember buying The Eagles' Hotel California and catching hell from almost everyone I knew in the congregation. They said the song Hotel California was about "demons" and "spirits". The photo when you open the album showed a scary looking character up on the balcony looking down on everyone below. I was told that this person was the head of some Satanic cult in LA. They said that Don Henley was pals with Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac and she was a witch(burn her, burn her. ooops. Monty Python slipped in there). I was kinda flabbergasted. C'mon guys. It's a country-rock group, not Black Sabbath. I ended up buying Fleetwood Mac's Rumours also, but didn't advertise it to anyone to save being ridiculed.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I remember that too. My ex husband and I got rid of our Kansas, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac albums because we heard there was accult worship involved. I have since purchased Kansas and Fleetwood Mac to my collection.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

nirvana's "nevermind", a MAJOR bone of contention between me and my parents. i was twelve and i thought i was sooooooooooo rebellious, lol

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Witnesses would be Metallica's black album.

Euphemism: Too funny! I just bought that a few days ago. It's pretty mild and doesn't even have an explicit lyric warning. What's the prob?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I threw out the Nirvana album when someone mentioned the title was too spiritistic.

Spunkychick: You have GOT to be joking!! LOL!

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

LOL @ Watson. I dunno. I think that all metal is automatically spiritistic in the traditional JW mindset. (Just as all rap is automatically obscene...)

• Sassy
    Sassy

I used to listen to some heavy metal music without it bothering me as a JW.

When I dated a 'pretend' JW a couple years ago and he'd hear my hip hop in the background playing when we spoke on the phone, he would chastise me for not being an obedient JW and that I should know better than to be listening to that stuff.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Was that me sns who asked you what you were listening to? I don't like hip hop, but that has nothing to do with JW beliefs.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Like Estee, the first "bad" CD I ever bought was Kingdom Melodies - huge disappointment , even then because it was only piano music.....

I was the happy owner of Mike Odfield's Tubular Bells and Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" , years before I was babtised and until now I never realised that this kind of music was'nt allowed......

I guess that one of my other favorites: Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood's "Some velvet morning" won't be approved too.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit