WOULD YOU GIVE THE JW'S THIS?

by integ 100 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlanF
    AlanF

Bluesbrother, I understand your point, but I think you're missing mine. The JW organization gets mixed reviews from me on morality. (1) It gets a good mark because it teaches certain generally accepted forms of morality. (2) It gets a bad mark because it teaches that such morality should be practiced based on obedience to "the faithful slave" (this "slave", through whom JWs understand the Bible, claims to base its morality on the Bible but demonstrably abandons it when convenient), but because this obedience is more important than an individual's determination of morality, it's evident that individuals are not truly moral, but are only acting moral. In other words, in the moral arena, JWs are posers. This is true individually and organizationally. Hardly anyone will say that posers should get much credit for posing.

AlanF

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It's the obedience that gives the impression of morals. The fact that certain behaviours are identifiable as being moral can be seen as but a coincidence in the actions of borg drones undertaking the commands that they follow.

Strong morality is like noble metal, tested in fires.

• amac
    amac

I have to agree with the several posts pointing out that most JWs morality is dependent on their devotion to the F&DS. However, some people are just going to be drones no matter what, and if I had to choose, I would rather they be JW drones rather than Osama Bin Laden drones

• AlanF
    AlanF

True enough, amac, but I think that any decent religion ought to go all out to encourage its members not to be drones. Most religions give at least lip service to this. Even the Watchtower does, in certain narrow cases, such as when writing articles encouraging people not to just accept evolution on authority. The hypcrisy of this is simply breathtaking.

AlanF

• amac
    amac
    True enough, amac, but I think that any decent religion ought to go all out to encourage its members not to be drones

Definitely! If only we lived in a perfect world. Maybe in the new system? ;>)

• Farkel
    Farkel

: A JW relative brought out something I actually had to agree with. We were discussing positive vs. negative aspects of the "Truth". She brought out that the witnesses do not participate in war, and I thought 'Gee, that's probably a good thing'. What "good thing's" would you be willing to give the Jw's credit for????? Beside's "Miracle Wheat".

You can't shine shit. Period. It was and will always be shit, no matter how much you try to shine it up.

Get used to it.

Farkel

• morty
    morty

the polo mints...we got them when I placed mags....oh and the free coffee before service....oh wait,I take that back,you had to bring cream or surgar to have a free coffee....I guess only the mints..

mortons68

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

I give most JWs credit for being (openly and in secret) --- great hypocrites. The evidence speaks for itself.

• Phil
    Phil

Regarding not participating in wars, Who owns 50% of the Rand Energy Group Inc. that manufacture parts for smart bombs? This sounds hypocritical to me.

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

Alan......................this point is soooooooo true of many dub parents.

and that the parents are more interested in keeping on the good side of the Society than in protecting their child and other children, and doing the moral thing by exposing a molester.

Thank god I wasn't one of them!

Cheers, Bliss

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit