Owe Raymond Franz my life anyone else??

by Witness 007 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I like him because there was no bitterness or hate which I have. He gave us the facts and NEVER took cheap shots at any "brothers" he was the best J.W scholar better then his uncle. Imagine Raymond handing "the gentile times re-examined to the governing body disproving the 1914 date...huge guts! Things could have been different a huge reform for Witnesses.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Sorry I just watched Malcom X with Densel feeling pissed off!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

FYI for everyone:

The "Commentary of James" was credited to Ed Dunlap, NOT Ray Franz. Ray Franz had a huge part in the "Aide to Bible Understanding" book, hence they had to eventually release the "Proclaimers" book and shelf the old Aide book as "old light."

Ed Dunlap was on the teaching committee I believe and taught at Gilead. He was close friends with Ray Franz, and left around the same time or was kicked out during the "Great Purge" of 1980.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I remember Ed Dunlap and had a lot of respect for Commentary of James. Probably the best book the Watchtower published.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WING COMMANDER:

Thanks for the clarification.

TRUTH_B_KNOWN:

I also felt it was the best book they published! I loved the actual bible book of James so much that I actually copied it in longhand back in the days when I was a ‘believer’.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

I still have an old aide book and book of James. The one of the elders was looking at my personal book collection and told me that more than half of it is " old light" and I should get rid of it. I told him you should learn your history on everything. I guess they don't like their past history. It is better to have answers you can question

Then. Questions you can't ask.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yeah Raymond was given the huge job to write "Aid to bible understanding." The most deepest difficult job in bethel history...and he wrote it claiming 607 b.c.e 1914 was impossible to prove.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

God bless Raymond Franz.

For those 2 masterpieces he wrote.

Had it not been for the internet though,,,,and through this site. I would have never even know of Ray Franz,,,,not to mention of his books.

His books are what freed my mind. That ''confirmation'' which PIMO's desire.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Does the "Aid to bible understanding" really say that the "607 b.c.e 1914 was impossible to prove"? I didn't notice that when I read about 607 B.C.E in the Aid book, though I did notice that the book tried to refute the views of the scholars who said 586/587 B.C.E./B.C. instead.

Though Ray Franz wrote a considerable part of the Aid book, I don't think he wrote the whole book.

Imagine what the WT teachings and its religion would be today if Raymond Franz had remained on the governing body for 20 more years than he did, and if he had become the primary one of the governing body.

Foolednomore, it is atypical that the WT religion doesn't highly esteem it old literature. Most religions esteem their old literature. The Jewish religion for example still reads a version of the Hebrew holy Scriptures (Tanakh) for example. The SDA still publish editions of Ellen G. White's books, despite the SDA religion having been founded before the WT religion.

Since a number of people are saying how Raymond's book called Crisis of Conscience opened their figurative eyes about the nature of the WT organization, maybe I should check out that book from the library and give it another look, a much more thorough reading.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

To clarify Raymond in his OWN books mentioned how hard it was to make 607 convincing with 99 % of scholars disclaiming it as nonsense. We all had to "white lie" and stretch the truth hammering the wrong piece of a puzzle into place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit