After watching A&E Leah Remini on Jehovah Witnesses I am going to stop hiding behind my Avatar

by Still Totally ADD 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

The way I look at it, it is a big choice because of the out come, and for that reason I will not point to any choice as Ideal and the route to go, because everybody's circumstances are complicated and different, (I got my own troubles) and prefer side step any type of responsibility for the outcome on something that is so a personal choice that they have to live with.

I would just like to give any one kudos for getting the hell out of this bull shit religion, and my sincerest sympathy to those still play the part for family and friends and I wish you all a eventual good out come for you efforts.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

This last weekend we showed the A&E program to 5 people and had discussions throughout the viewing. They could not believe their eyes. Another friend did watch it on tv and told me she had no idea what Barb and I went through. Horrible just horrible then she gave me a big hug and told me how brave we were to leave. All mention we need to get a large group together to watch it. We are looking into that. Also many ask what can they say to jw who knock on their door. We told them to say we are not interested in a religion that protects pedophile and shuns the one who was abused. They all took that to heart.

Also two of them called the wt. a fascist regime. One was a lawyer and the other was a lady who escape from Germany at the beginning of world war 2. We thought is was a very interesting insight. That was our weekend. Still Totally ADD aka David Winner

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Man that show was powerful.

Brought tears to my eyes. Lea remini did a fantastic job

• Simon
    Simon
    However, if I get aggressively in the face of my JW daughters ...

At no point am I suggesting that people are aggressive, mean or nasty. Just that they don't provide the person with the easy option of them pretending they have no choice in the decision of whether to shun or not. In fact, the choice is completely theirs and theirs alone and people need to know that. They don't have to shun - that should be our message.

How people talk to their own family is up to each person. I'm just saying that the idea that we can't say they are shunning us doesn't make sense - or what? they might stop speaking to us?

The problem with my daughters is that they have no social contact with anybody outside the JW cult.

I think this is, in reality, quite rare. Most people have some contact even if they are not close friends, people live in the real world and interact.

Why should they get to walk around pretending they are not doing anything wrong?

Shame and social judgement is a powerful motivator. Societal views are what helped to abolish something as powerfully entrenched as slavery and other practices. People need to know what is going on and keeping it secret, under the guise of "they have to because the WTS told them to" means they get to escape one of the most powerful motivators for change. It plays completely into the WTS hands which is why it's their message.

Let's not propagate the WTS' rules.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit