After watching A&E Leah Remini on Jehovah Witnesses I am going to stop hiding behind my Avatar

by Still Totally ADD 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    flipper - "...My longest term friend from high school and his wife watched it and was really shocked by the horror we all had to go through as young JWs being raised up in it..."

Yeah, you can't help but feel furious for all the young JW kids who've been picked on simply for being JWs, when in a lot of ways, they had no fucking choice, and weren't even able to articulate that.

There was a scene in the Carrie remake that really stuck with me.

The coach had given punishment laps to all the girls who'd hurt Carrie, and capped their sentence with something that really hit home:

"...and while you're running, I'd like you all to think long and hard about what it would be like to have to be Carrie White..." (paraphrasing, but I think it's close)

God, I love that movie.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Vidiot we understand fully where you are at. I do not want anyone to feel like they are being forced to come out. Everyone circumstances are diffrent. We understand. A year ago I could not do it but with our youngest son and his family are out both Barb and I feel it's time to do it. Thank you for your comments. Take care. Still Totally ADD aka David

• former2free
    former2free

Disclaimer this is not a criticism it’s merely a sad fact. It’s sad that for some of us that even after leaving that there is still some measure of control they maintain and I feel sorry for the ones that can’t truly break free from every aspect. But freedom even if it has limitations is still better than being in a cult.

• flipper
    flipper

Great thread Totally ADD. I deeply appreciate the comments made by everybody, especially you, your son Former2free and your wife Reopened Mind.

In reference to Former2free's comment about some of us " even after leaving some measure of control over us " - I would love to come out and say my real name here on the board, but due to my two adult JW daughters shunning me and one of my daughters holding my 3 year old grandson hostage as a ransom bargaining chip not allowing me to see him, I have to kind of play it undercover somewhat. So I'd like to say the JW cult doesn't control me, but truth is it kind of does due to my daughters still being in. It sucks big time. I appreciate your points. I'm hopeful someday my daughters will gain back their freedom. Fortunately my son is out so we're close like blood brothers. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• former2free
    former2free

Flipper,

I do hope that they wake up for your sake too. Its terrible the blackmail they use against people stripping you of your dignity and humanity in anyway they can. Take care my friend.

James

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

flipper I understand, I understand my friend. I hope in the very near future you will get your complete family back. Give your son a big hug when you see him next time for all of us who still have family who shunn us. Take care friend. Still Totally ADD aka David

• jp1692
    jp1692

Great to meet you, David and Barbara!

• Simon
    Simon
    I would love to come out and say my real name here on the board, but due to my two adult JW daughters shunning me and one of my daughters holding my 3 year old grandson hostage as a ransom bargaining chip not allowing me to see him, I have to kind of play it undercover somewhat.

You're playing by their rules and playing into their hands. They get to do what they do because there is little to no social cost to them. They go about their lives with their extreme behavior kept secret from people they interact with, work with etc...

You should be saying your name and their names and then perhaps people who know them can put social pressure on them not to do such things.

An organization can't shun you - only your family and friends can. They are the ones doing this to you so tell them, tell everyone, make it uncomfortable for them to do it.

By keeping silent you're just making it easy for them which is why it's easy for them to keep doing it. What would you lose? Contact with them? You already have no contact with them - appeal to human emotion, not to the non-validity of organization rules and belief.

• flipper
    flipper

SIMON- I appreciate your input. However, if I get aggressively in the face of my JW daughters , all they will do is appeal to my older brother, an elder, and claim that their dad is " persecuting " them and it will drive away and alienate my daughters even further from me. Then I will eliminate any chance whatsoever of reaching them.

I prefer to just call them on the phone, leave a message telling them I love them, and leave it up to them to reach me on their own terms. If I take the high road in time these daughters of mine might see that they have been the ones shunning me- not the other way around.

If I get aggressive and try to " force " the issue, it just drives cult members and mind controlled people deeper and further into their errant cult ways. The problem with my daughters is that they have no social contact with anybody outside the JW cult. One of my daughter's cleans house for one of my commercial customers, and this client of mine has told my older daughter that she should see me and not shun me. It did nothing to change my daughter's views. My older daughter is totally, big time mind controlled and the only feedback she will accept is from other fellow JW's who have the WT Society's views of things. So it's frustrating. I just try to remain patient. If I lose my cool and call them out on their shit- it will just alienate them further, driving them deeper into the cult. That's my opinion. Thanks for your advice though, something to think about. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    The problem with my daughters is that they have no social contact with anybody outside the JW cult.

I’m sorry.

It’s a fucked situation. Years roll into decades while they’re stuck inside invisible walls. Terrible place to have our loved ones trapped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit