Stats just out: JWs in Wales decline (-3.4%) - COs primed for zero baptisms!

by Darth FayDehr 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82

I understand it has always been an option for anyone reinstated after being disfellowshipped,

to reconfirm their dedication, although not many did so.

This has never been an "option" - what you have described is not, and has never been, anything JWs have ever done.

These speculations about "rebaptisms" possibly being required are loonier than even "overlapping generations".

• steve2
    steve2

I understand it has always been an option for anyone reinstated after being disfellowshipped, to reconfirm their dedication, although not many did so.

incognito, this is a glaringly incorrect understanding if ever there was one. The organization can be accused of inflating numbers on many other areas, but this is definitely not one of them. It is very very rare that a baptized "brother" or "sister" is ever granted a re-baptism.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    This has never been an "option" - what you have described is not, and has never been, anything JWs have ever done.
    These speculations about "rebaptisms" possibly being required are loonier than even "overlapping generations".

Thank you. I lacked words to describe how loony toons that discussion is. Id like to categorize it as “dumbest post of the week” but its only Wednesday.

• FeelingFree
    FeelingFree

Well you'll all be interested to know that my mother in law was actually baptised twice.

Apparently she didn't properly "dedicate" herself to jehoover the first time. She left "the truth" and moved over sea's to marry....but was never disfellowshiped. Years and a couple of kids later she began attending again in the other country, decided she needed to get re-baptised and for some reason it was allowed.

So there we go you can get baptised twice! Why you'd want is another matter!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

There was a very brief time where it was sort of kind of allowed. There was also a brief time where people were df’d for even asking to be rebaptized.

For 99.99999999999% of the orgs history it has not and is not now the policy to rebaptise individuals. Further more such a rebaptsium wouldnt change the orgs numbers one bit. It would be the exact same number of publishers. Its interesting to discuss historically. Its stupid to suggest it as some sort of fraud in the future.

• FeelingFree
    FeelingFree

Well yes your quite right, it wouldn't change numbers at all.

Just thought I'd mention it as it is so unusual. I heard local cong friend's rib her about it every now and then as they think it's weird!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Re-baptism was offered following WW2 to those who had been baptized at a young age prior to the war. It wasn't mandatory but many did get baptized again.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Interesting "fun" fact OC.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

So the numbers are down, because the North Wales congs have always gone to Manchester/Liverpool and never to Cardiff, certainly for the last 30+ years.

Also, some from N.Wales attend both, the farming family interviewed are from N.Wales and attend Cardiff as it is a Welsh convention. The region they are from however attends Liverpool.

I work in this city and was suprised to see the article whilst looking through the news on Sunday, even more suprised to see peolle I knew very well in the article. One of them I served in bethel with.

Despite the bias and uninformed article, the comments section was by enlarge informative and full of warnings re the JW's.

As for the article, I often type in "Jehovah" into google and hit the news search option. Most of the time, somewhere in the world is having a convention and most of the times I have done that search, an article like this comes up. Whether it is Detroit, Texas, Sydney or the remote Phillipines....the articles all read in a very similiar fashion. This has gone on for years. I would be hesitant to say they pay for the articles, however I have no doubt this has been done, but for sure they must approach the papers, show them around VIP for the afternoon and influence the theme and tone of the articles. They are FAR TOO similair for any other explanation.

snare

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Morph There was also a brief time where people were df’d for even asking to be rebaptized.

As always, Truth is stranger than fiction!!

OC Re-baptism was offered following WW2 to those who had been baptized at a young age prior to the war. It wasn't mandatory but many did get baptized again.

This interesting! I'd like to know more. Do you think it was considered a " rushed" baptism due to Hitler and war looming ? Or was it more to do with their negative attitude to child baptisms?( which appears to have changed!)

S & R or sure they must approach the papers, show them around VIP for the afternoon and influence the thene of the articles. They are FAR TOO similair for any other explanation.

They probably issue some kind of press release/bulletin Snare, from which the journalist takes most of their "copy" - it just being easier for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit