Introducing Our Rockstar Governing Body

by pale.emperor 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    By posing, they pander to that hero worship and ,no doubt, feel good. OK, that is human, but they are supposed to be above that. In the old days I suggest such a request would be politely declined.

Not sure about that. Over the years I've seen several snaps of people with old GB members.

The biggest differences are that (a) they are recognised and (b) everyone has a camera and is not shy about using it.

Until the current crop put themselves on telly they could be far more anonymous. I agree that they could choose not to have a photo but the fact that they do is not proof that they seek fame in itself.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Meh... i cant be critical on this point. If they didnt take pics with people they would be called arrogant. Being a dub has always meant taking tons of pics of everyone u meet and especially at conventions.

We can however be critical of them autographing bibles for cuban dictators.

• dozy
    dozy

What I find especially annoying are the experiences in the publications which invariably have a reference or two to meetings or dealings with members of the GB in glowing , almost reverential terms . often with a picture if ( gasp) they met them in person.

A typical example is an experience from Olive Matthews in the October Watchtower which has a picture of her husband shaking hands with Knorr at the 1965 Dublin convention as if he was some kind of visiting dignitary. The previous issue has an experience from David Sinclair which is embarrassingly effusive about Knorr and Fred Franz ( the title " I was blessed to work with spiritual men" pretty much sets the tone ).

• hoser
    hoser

Hero worship plain and simple. Jws feel so inferior that they need this boost. No different than getting a photo with the queen, pope, hockey player or rock star.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Even though i dont think it's the GB seeking out people to have their pics taken, what im getting at is when i was a kid nobody knew who the GB members where. Maybe some really hardcore JW elder would know some of their names, but look at it now. Everyone knows who they are, they're on your TV daily and one of them even appears prominently on the convention program.

Ask yourself... when did girls like this ever approach you and ask for a pic with you so they could share it with their friends and upload it on one of those JW Instagram pages? Are they getting pics because they're related? Because they think he's cute? Or maybe because he's a celebrity in JW land?

• possum
    possum

My husband a mere publisher always came early to assemblies help set up and stayed late to help clean and pack up at the end of the assembly. Where are the photos of these humble Christ-like servants the GB??? with brooms, cleaning toilets stacking chairs??

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great point possum!

We NEVER see the GB even pretending to do menial tasks...let alone actually doing them!

• pixel
    pixel

These thugs.*

But as long as the don't show on my instagram / Facebook / Twitter feed I'm all good.

*historical
    a member of a religious organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travelers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.
  • pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Where are the photos of these humble Christ-like servants the GB??? with brooms, cleaning toilets stacking chairs??

Ah but remember the pic someone shared from Bethel of Anthony Morris... wait for it... WASHING A CUP!! Oh how humble he is. Washing his own cup.

Tell me, how many times have you been in the office kitchen and cant find a clean cup so you wash one yourself? Doesn't mean that you spend all day washing dishes does it?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Most people would roll their sleeves up when doing even a trivial amount of washing up. Especially if they were wearing a nice timepiece and cufflinks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit