What changes would stabilize JW membership?

by StarryNight9 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am not a fan of questions like "What changes would stabilize JW membership?"

It's like asking, "Was Jesus the son of God or an extraordinary man of faith?"
    There is so much more that could be asked about whether he existed at all or was something entirely different from those choices.

Why would we even want a stable JW membership? I suppose then it could be less cult-like and more mainstream. Then get rid of it and let the members find a mainstream church to go to.

The Catholic Church is in a huge decline over its scandals. But they are so huge and banked so much money, that they will somehow, most likely, weather this storm and reinvent themselves after they sift out so many members. Couldn't that be true of Watchtower also?

While I pity the shunned, missing out on family because of a stupid cult, and I wish that shunning would go away, and I would hope their blood ban stops and people stop needlessly dying, I otherwise wish that Watchtower keeps the active members as miserable as ever in their getting their hours in and wasting away weekends at conventions. It might be the only reason people decide to stop being active witnesses.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Let women wear pants to the meetings.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

They simply have to reform.

I would agree with much as mentioned throughout the thread, but judging by the governing bodies stubborn evasive and deceitful stance they seem to take, I very much doubt they will ever reform.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Eliminate the One Towel rule.

Rub a Dub

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STARRY NIGHT:

I don’t think anything’s really going to stabilize membership in the JW religion at this point in time.. Any of the measures suggested here won’t make much of a difference.

Most of their membership is elderly. These people contribute the most money and when they’re gone the golden goose is gone too. When I visited the hall for a funeral talk not too long ago, I saw a half-empty hall and mostly elderly people. Years ago it would have been packed.

There’s just going to be fewer and fewer people there over time - and not contributing people at that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    UnshackleTheChains - "They simply have to reform."

Agreed.

And it's also never gonna happen.

The specifics of JW ideology, the mentality of the leadership, and their record of resistance to change from outside pressure have, by now, become too deeply rooted in the religion's DNA. At this point, if the WTS truly implemented progressive reform, they'd arguably no longer be "Jehovah's Witnesses"...

...I honestly don't think the Org would survive the transition.

Ironic really, considering that I think they're destined for History's dustbin anyway because progressive reform is, IMO, crucial to a religion's survival in the Information Age.

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective
    Let women wear pants to the meetings.

Let women wear tight pants to the meetings.

• caves
    caves

Cryogenicly freeze all members and store them in a bunker marked 'Paradise'. Or 'Marked for Survival'.

Lol

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    What Changes Would Stabilize JW Membership?

Red Meat according to today's AGM!

The GB thinks that resurrecting the Russia King of the North thingee; by tweaking the midweek meeting a bit; and by revisiting, rewriting and studying the book of Ezekiel with a new revised edition is going to stop the bleeding!

Twont work!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit