What changes would stabilize JW membership?

by StarryNight9 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StarryNight9
    StarryNight9

I've seen many topics about how things are changing or might be changing in JW doctrine/culture. Some have extrapolated how those changes would result in declining JW membership. I'm curious to know what changes others think would stabilize those numbers. Perhaps a list of things to watch for in the future that indicate JW leadership realizes there's a problem and decides to do something about it. I'll start off with a few ideas:

• End door-to-door preaching
    • Give up on the no-blood doctrine
    • Meetings only once a week

I think doing away with disfellowshipping would do more harm than good to their membership.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

-Slowly let go of 1914 doctrine

-Make blood transfusions a conscience issue

-Make 144k a figurative number

-Stop mandating that all publishers turn in a monthly field service slip

-Stop shunning disassociated individuals

-Make celebrations like birthdays or patriotic holidays a conscience matter

-Get rid of the 2 witness rule when it comes to child abuse

-Create a charity arm to become more like a mainstream christian religion

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

They would have to make it interesting and urgent again.

The only way to do that is a good old fashioned end time prediction... something like 2050... or better yet, some odd number like 2047. And they would have to back it up with some sort of creative chronology.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I would say stop the shunning would be number one. I know they say their reason for shunning is to "protect" their members, but it does more harm than good, strike that. It does no good. Someone once said a long time ago on this site, that studies have shown that shunning is the worst thing that can be done to a person's mental well-being. I don't remember what all they said, but that was a just of it.

But then again those people, at least my relatives who are JWs, are the most TOXIC people on the face of the earth. So in a way shunning does do some good, it keeps those people the out of my life and stops them from playing their mind games on me and my children.

To tell you the truth, I DO NOT want them to change, I want my JW relatives to see them for what they really are. And the only way that will ever happen is if that cult dies out in a very pitiful way, aka a whole lot more members leaving than coming in. Less money coming in, aka donations, and more money going out on lawsuits, and the truth of what they really are.

• StarryNight9
    StarryNight9

btw - I meant doing away with disfellowshipping would harm their numbers, not harm individual JWs. Shunning is an evil childish practice.

• steve2
    steve2

They've had several opportunities to revise their policies on responses to allegation of child sexual abuse and shunning - and they've done SFA.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Start preaching the love ideas that are written about concerning jesus as thier main focus.

Make dfding only for gross offenses like pedophiles.

Make the blood doctrine a conscience matter.

Drop the titles and the ministry and time keeping stating that informal is the best method now.

Use the Bible to say that celebrating holidays is a conscience matter which it does anyway.

Focus on association more and maybe have only one meeting per week.

Actualy do some real charity work.

stop talking about end times and focus on being judged by good deeds and faith in Christ.

In general become more like a traditional Christian Church that’s more about fellowship then dogma.

In this way you’ll be able to hold on to the young and maybe even win back those on the edges as well as stop loosing so many.

But they won’t do this infact their doing the exact opposite becoming more and more culty and will loose more because of this and getting new ones is now almost impossible.

• Moster
    Moster

They don't shun. Just ask them.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    They don't shun. Just ask them.

Good one Moster!🤣

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Become more youth focused. When you are loosing 66% of them there is certainly room to move.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit