Sisters as Ministerial Servants?

by Spoletta 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

I bring up other religions and denominations because there have been comments about how the ARC is going to force Watchtower to appoint women and other activities. You cannot view that in a vacuum. For the Australian government to do that, they would also have to force other religions and denominations to do the same thing. That seems pretty hard to believe that they would do that.

• steve2
    steve2

Richard Oliver, you need to learn what happens after ARC presents its findings. Here's a rough summary:

The ARC's findings and recommendations will be tabled in parliament and the government of the day will establish an invesitgating committee to review the recommendations. Where considered relevant and necessary, discussion papers on addressing deficits in existing legislation and proposed changes and/or formulating new legislation. These papers will then be considered further and voted on by members of parliament. At times, due to urgency, these steps proceed quickly (in parliamentary time).

Also, contrary to what you imply, seldom does legislation target a specified religious group - although an investigation may be sparked by problematic policies and practices in a specified group.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Steve:

Please actually read my comments instead of immediately attacking me. I never claimed that the Australian Government would force a religion to do something. Other people have claimed that. Other people have claimed that the ARC has authority other than to investigate and make recommendations. I have research the ARC proceedings and have said it like it would be like a Blue Ribbon Commission in the US but with a little more authority to issue subpoenas and take testimony that is subject to the pains and penalties of perjury. The commission is made up of many commissioners but like in the case of the Watchtower investigation, only one commissioner was assigned to the final report in preparing it. My statement was that people on this thread has said that they are going to make changes because Watchtower knows that Australia is going to force them to ordain women, but if the Australian government was to do that to JWs they would have to do it to all of the religions that do not ordain women or put women in leadership roles.

• anointed1
    anointed1

Sisters are basically women, hence would behave like US women. They never had a woman president, and when they got the change to elect one woman president, they did not. It means women have secondary role because they have let that happen. Similarly, if all JW sisters agree that we need 50% representation in all avenues of JW org--including the composition of GB, otherwise we are all leaving....then they will definitely change. But women are women, they will not.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

All this problem according to Paul was because Eve was "deceived"

In view of her crime then, no woman should ever be involved in food

preparation,

Because all the world's troubles

Are a result of Eve serving bad fruit

:0)

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

There have been some really well read, clever and personable sisters in kingdom halls when i was growing up. 2 immediately spring to mind as i write this who would have been a credit to "the society" (eurgh, cant believe im saying that) if they were given some sort of role.

Maybe they'll give them another "privilege" but not in an authoritative sense. Like if a sister is called to a JC or elders grilling they may have designated women there for "support" so as to pacify the courts when they read of the crazy JC rule of asking rape victims to sit in a room with 3 men sat facing her asking personal intimate questions about her body.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

It's in scripture that a woman cannot teach...so no I can't see it happening.

• never a jw
    never a jw

@anointed1 "Sisters are basically women...But women are women"

Were you raised in the "truth"? Are you still mentally in?

You just don't get rid of thousands of years of physical and psychological abuse overnight. Many women are kicking ass (men's asses) already and will continue to move towards equality with men. Just give them a little time.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Richard O.there's no question of the ARC forcing Watchtower to appoint women, but only allowing victims of child ( or presumably any) sexual abuse to be allowed detail their sufferings to a women, rarther than a body of older men.

In fact the Catholic Church, the other Institution investigated, has fully agreed to all recommendations and made unreserved apology to all victims ( by the Pope, whereas Toni Morris is too above such things).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Government agencies don't need to "force" churches to do anything.

All they have to do is revoke the tax-exempt status of churches that refuse to comply with whatever the rules are.

Said churches can't even whine "persecution!" and be taken seriously, because "paying back Caesar's things to Caesar" is a fundamental tenet in their own scriptures.

And good luck to any church at surviving in the Information Age without tax-exemption (and/or progressive reform).

Thanks to the privileged status they've enjoyed through the 20th Century, most religions' business models have become almost entirely dependent on it.

:smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit