Sisters as Ministerial Servants?

by Spoletta 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

You've all pretty much summed up my thoughts on the subject. My wife said that at a recent CLAM there was a part that praised the women's abilities, and that there might be exciting news regarding that in the near future. Then, afterwards, an elder was talking to her and almost "let slip" the secret.

Like I said, she keeps hoping that there will an excuse for her to remain loyal, even though she realizes there's a lot of bad stuff going on.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

You would also have to make the same claim and criticism about many other religions. That would include Catholics, Islam, Eastern Orthodox Christians, Judaism, Some Denomination of Baptists, Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists. Of course there are certain churches that may allow women to be ordained ministers but as a whole many of these churches and certainly their mainstream churches do not.

I believe that this started because of the video that was presented last week of Ken Flodin where he talked about women's role in the congregation. He stated that even though women won't be able to be appointed as a servant or elder they can still develop the qualities that are referenced in Timothy and Titus. He also pointed out that in Titus it talks about the qualifications of being an older woman, and how sisters can develop those qualities and assist other women in the congregation when it is appropriate.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

He also pointed out that in Titus it talks about the qualifications of being an older woman

So younger woman cant be caring, wholesome, responsible caring people. ummm ?

I guess those young ancient Hebrew woman were all unwholesome apathetic whores

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Just like elders, older women don't have to be old. And not all old women care older women in the bible sense. Do they have the qualities to assist others and to be an example to others in a positive way.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

What a waste of the talents of 50% of the population.

And what an insult to have to do those far and few responsibilities with a napkin on their heads.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

This MAY be a reference to the proposal that the Judge and Legal team of the Australian Royal Commission made.

Namely, they strongly suggested that the organization should make provision for "qualified women" to sit in the investigative and supportive roles if a case of child or sexual abuse was to arise.

They said it was wholly inappropriate for three men to be the ones to hear such sensitive matters. They said that it would be far better for a woman to assist in such situations.

Of course, as Jackson said "there would be no room for Females to be appointed to a role of an elder or ms"

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

In my congregation, I could put together an all woman Elders Body that would far outshine what we have now. Intelligent and compassionate, but not pushovers.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Seems like i read in the Secret Manual for CO's a nice bit about how a circuit overseer's wife should just keep herself hushed and stay in the background, and if a sister tried to tell her about any problems she must refer the woman to the elders or tell her to talk to the CO. It wouldn't be appropriate for the CO's wife to try to actually help, instead of keeping her supportive role.

I believe that is the positive role model of a jw sister, that the jw bosses really appreciate.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Pale.emporer Why the tea towel??She wasn't teaching. Sometimes I think witness women get a kick out of this submission shit. A bit like young, modern completely liberated girls in the west wearing the Burkha or scarves when no one in their family does. Is it a sexual kick. Who knows.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Romans 16.1 mentions Phoebe as a "Diokonos" or deacon of the church entrusted with the delivery of scripture written by Paul. A deacon is the equivalent of ministerial servant.

Also there we're 2 women on The JW's governing body when they were first Bible students. Mind you that's GB with lower case letters, unlike today's GB who now use uppercase!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit