Do You Think People Have Forgotten About 9/11?

by minimus 37 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

After all these years, it seems to me that people do not properly take note of what happened on this date in 2001. For some, it’s like nothing major happened. For me it is a day of reflection.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I have not. My youngest was a baby. The next generation may not think of it like us oldies.

My thoughts go out to all those who lost loved ones on that tragic day.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It gets mentioned here in the UK each year. Today included.

I think that although it was a really terrible atrocity, time has passed. People have other things happening and happened in their lives.

I don't think there is any disrespect intended, just a passage of time. 18 years.

• RayoFlight2014
    RayoFlight2014

How could any of us who saw it unfold ever forget?

If there are any who don't think it was significant, I'd like to know why.

It's a day of reflection for me also Minimus.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

I live less that 20 miles from ground zero.

No, we have not forgotten.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I had just turned 22 a month before. 9/11 was my "Generations" JFK, or Pearl Harbor. Nobody forgets where they were or what they were doing when they first heard about the 1st plane crashing into the WTC. Then, turning on the radio, nearest TV, or internet sites.

I live a few hundred miles south in Pennsylvania. It was an absolutely beautiful day. I mean spectacular. Crisp, perfect temperature, and that lasted all day here on the east coast. In all honesty, that added to the surreal feeling of the day. It's like it was all so hard to take in because of how wonderful the weather was. It wasn't dark or gloomy. Early morning, I was getting my car inspected, then drove promptly to work. I got to work at about 9:15. Everyone was already talking about it, watching it on the TV, and on the internet as well. (slow as it was back then, but not bad actually) I hadn't had the radio on on my way to work, so it was news to me.

The next few weeks were a DAZE. Even though I had been physically "out" of the JW's since about 15, I was still pretty much mentally "in." I held to the JW belief system. I figured this was the start of the Great Tribulation. Or did I? I honestly did NOT hurry back to the Kingdumb Hell like so many others did. I didn't attend at all. Neither did my mother. It was all such a shock, and I figured if it was the Time of the End, than so be it. I knew there'd be war of this, but to still be here in 2019, with no Armageddon in sight? Never even occurred to me. I just turned 40 in August. Never thought I'd be this age in This System of Things. Here I am! 2020 is just around the corner. Than, 2021 - and 20 years since 9/11.

I now understand how my parents felt as they reflected where THEY were on Nov 22nd, 1963. They used to speak of "before and after" when referring to it. Truly, there was a "before 9/11", and there is now an "after."

• Giordano
    Giordano

People have forgotten the year the Civil war ended or the end or WW1 and the beginning of WW2 ........ Pearl Harbor.

As a generation passes away the event does not have the same effect on the children whose parents and grand parents lived through it.

We honor that generation but it's hard to feel the emotions...... it's in the past........ but 911 is still in our minds...... we are still effected by the attack....We are still part of the generation that can ask and answer the question.........Where were you when 911 happened? As long as we can ask and answer that question.........we will remember.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Toes have not. My youngest was a baby. The next generation may not think of it like us oldies.

You would think so, yet It's funny my 13 year old son scolded me for not mentioning it. If you do the maths you will know he wasn't born when it happened (AND he's from another country). Yet he is a child born in that decade and it has most profoundly made its mark in his psyche

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

As a JW back then, I remember feeling happy and excited thinking that Armagedon was coming.

Glad that I am out of this cult.

• minimus
    minimus

As a JW elder then, I was disgusted by the rejoicing that took place by some Witnesses. I even expressed it from the platform that we should not be happy when thousands of people are killed by terrorists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit