Strange first names among jw's

by fulano 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

This topic is a sore spot with me. My parents named my brother and I after biblical characters. His name isn't as bad as mine. Growing up it was not a common name as it is becoming.

Like most Witness parents who name their child after a bible character, my brother and I were given names of Hebrew decent. Old Testament. I have no Jewish ancestry and I no longer believe in the Judeo-Christian faith. I have no attachment to the name.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I guess some Dubs are just too adamant and proud, and just go ahead an name their kids after Bible characters. Names that have long since vaporized and are weird. Without thinking of the ridicule their kids will endure.

• fulano
    fulano

Any judas iskariot?

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

All kids in my cong are biblical names except one lil girl who has a modern non biblical name... It caused alot of comment in the cong and the parents found themselves having to justify it!

• charonsdog
    charonsdog

My uncle and aunt didn't name their kids biblical names, but they did call the dog Mahershalalhashbaz.

"Baz" for short.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I know what nutty couple who called their kids Temperance and Ziba. I get that some countries might have funy names but these were a white English kids living in the north of England.

Temperance and Ziba... what were they thinking?

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Samoan family in my mother's congregation named their son Watchtower.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I must not give myself away,or location.. so just one... Elijah.....

Why burden him with that?

Embarrassing names remind me of the Johnny Cash song " A boys named Sue"

• AnonVet
    AnonVet

I know of one that named their boy "Nayem". Like, a really horribly pronounced "Nahum".

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

Slightly off topic, but it always puzzled me why people used the name Adam when he is supposed to be the worst person in the bible really.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit