Strange first names among jw's

by fulano 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• fulano
    fulano

Do you remember those families where all the sons and daughters had weird biblical names?

I recall a " Machlon" , "Eunice" , even a "Jehosafath". Can you believe it.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Jesus

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Yep.

Funny thing: My daughter has a somewhat Biblical name, but we only found out after we liked it.
    We got her name from a TV series (with spies and guns and fights lol), and like both the sound and the meaning.

So when we thought that must be the name, I started a search to see if that name means anything weird or despicable in other languages, or maybe there is a criminal or terrorist or evil organisation with that name. Basically to prevent accidentally naming her the equivalent of Dick, Adolf, Isis or Watchtower.

That's when I found out that it's actually also a Biblical word, and even with a nice meaning too! Well six months later I became a pomo atheist, but it's funny that we accidentally gave our daughter a Biblical(lish) name (it's not used as a name in the Bible)

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Caleb and Sophia.

• Betheliesalot
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

When I was a kid growing up in da troof in the 60's I was shocked to find out the name Gomer is biblical, every time you hear that name how could you not think of the bumbling Gomer Pyle from the TV show.

• blisterfeet
    blisterfeet

I knew someone that named their child “taze”.... it still makes me cringe

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''I knew someone that named their child “taze”.... it still makes me cringe''

That is cringe worthy.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Milton , Nathan etc.

G.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

or Lyman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit