Which Things Did Your Overzealous Parents Ban?

by pale.emperor 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

My dad was in the Marines in the war. He let me play with toy soldiers and tanks etc. I remember once we were playing at battles. That was setting up the soldiers at each end of the table and rolling a marble to knock them over. There was a knock at the door. It was the congregation Servant. We swept the soldiers away at lightening speed so he couldn't see them. We sat down whilst he 'shepherded™, us. As he left, he had a small Airfix toy soldier stuck to the tread of his shoe. We noticed, he didn't.

• Late Bloomer
    Late Bloomer

No pierced ears. Based on some scripture that says you're not supposed to put holes in your flesh. That's not an exact quote but that's how Mom interpreted it to me. Didn't matter that nearly every female in the cong had them, I wasn't allowed cuz the Bible said so. Around age 12/13, my older sister snuck me out and got my ears pierced anyway. Mom had a fit but soon after she was buying me pierced earrings. I'm sure if I were to ask her about it today she'd deny ever forbidding it, just like she denies banning the Smurfs, friends, and anything fun.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

punk Marine! oh wow did he tell you any stories? Anyway that's such a charming story by the way, he sounds like a lovely man.

No wonder you are so well balanced.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Dio - Yes. He had a few stories. The most hilarious was about when he was on the assault course. They fired live ammo above your head. He got the string on his helmet caught in barbed wire. It lifted the helmet and barbed wire grazed his head. A lot of blood on his face.The medic told him to sit in the hut, not get cleaned up yet, look sad and not say a word. They brought in some conscripts and the sgt said, 'He's been shot. That's what happens if you don't keep your head down.' Dad said their faces drained of colour.

BTTT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit