Which Things Did Your Overzealous Parents Ban?

by pale.emperor 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

We all know the GB like to impose rules upon the rules... but did anyone else out there have parents that implemented rules upon those rules? Mine did. My mum tended to copy whatever the elders wives were doing and took it to the extreme. Therefore, i missed the following things from my childhood:

Ghostbusters - because it'll bring demons into your home

Rock music - because, apparently, one kid listened to a Marilyn Manson song and killed himself. Nothing was said of this persons mental state before listening to Marilyn Manson and the fact the millions of his fans haven't killed themselves. Not to mention the people who've killed themselves or others after reading the bible.

Michael Jackson - because he did the Thriller video

The X Files - because they investigate the paranormal? Or so i was told.

Grange Hill - (a childrens TV series here in the UK in the 80s/90s) because my mum said the kids were "cheeky"

Playing outside - because it'll "encourage gangs"

Playing out after school with my schoolfriends - because they dont worship Jehovah

Playing Goldeneye on N64 - because it's the same as murder (???)

"Violent" computer games - same as above

Star Wars - because it has the word "wars" in the title. I've still never seen Star Wars.

After school clubs - because i'll be mixing with non JW kids (like i do every day anyway?)

The internet - because it's full of "information". Seriously, that was their reason.

Watching WWF/WWE wresting - because it's violent

Reading any other religious book - because it'll bring demons into the house (how convenient)

The Beatles music - but only from the years 1966-1968 (?!?!)

The following bands were definately banned - Guns n Roses, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, KISS, Iron Maiden, Nirvana, Marilyn Manson, Black Sabbath

Elton John was a grey area... my mum liked his music. My dad said "i would like his music if he wasn't gay"... (the hell does that even mean). It didn't help when i was 6 and the CO was at our house for dinner and asked what i wanted to be when i was older and i said "i want to be Elton John".

• zeb
    zeb

And the day she needs $$$ help the others of her ilk will not be seen; it will be your responsibility..

Sounds like she had as a visiting overseer once told of those with a 'Hyper-active' conscience.

My sympathies to you.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    • Smurfs
    • Watching any TV show with any openly gay hosts or guests (not that we had a TV...that came only in 1992)
    • Music from Queen (teh gaiyz)
    • Music from Terrence Trent d'Arby (demunz)
    • Going on any school trip, including one day trips
    • Playing at non JW schoolmates' house
    • Having non JW schoolmates over to play (may have happened once though)

Some of it may be overzealous JW stuff, some of it simply non-conformance to society, and some of it an accidental result of circumstances.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

David Bowie. I actually DID buy Bowie but used to put the LPs in a different sleeve. When I played them, my parents didn't know who it was anyway.

Donovan. As above.

Oddly enough my Mum was OK with Alice Cooper.

Mixing with friends outside of school. God I was a lonely kid. No jobos my age in the kingdumb hell.

My Dad was a bit more hard lined but still not too OTT. I was lucky with my parents. They weren't jobo loonys.

• curiousconfused
    curiousconfused

Rent-a-ghost ...... (British 70's/80s kids program)

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Toy guns, and playing D&D

oh and Girls.

• jp1692
    jp1692

PE: I've still never seen Star Wars.

Dude, it's time!

Just make sure you watch them in the order they were made/released.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (I had to secretly stay up to watch the reruns at 02:00 with the volume below a whisper)

Goosebumps books (I once set my blanket on fire while secretly reading with the blanket draped over my lamp)

The Internet

Shaving my legs (my, wasn't I the most popular eighth grader as a result)

As for any DVD or VHS that had an M-rating, they were subsequently cracked or recorded over... this was the law in my home 'til I finally moved out at 20.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yup...most of the above!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh and, I could never say "we won" if my sporting team was victorious.

You see, it wasn't that "we" won...as "we are not of this world!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit