After Jesus fasted for 40 days, he was tempted by a man (not a fallen angel).

by quincemyles 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    I said that there is not a single scholar employed at a university or college. To my knowledge, Carrier is not employed at either university or college. - Saname

You better learn the meaning of intellectual dishonesty too.

Who pays Carrier's salary is irrelevant to the question of whether there are serious scholars working in the field who argue against the historicity of Jesus.

Objecting that Carrier is not working as a professor is as silly as saying you will only accept the opinions of scholars who have a moustache,

Either you knew of Carrier's work or you didn't.

If you have read his book you should have admitted there is a serious case against your position that ought to be considered.

If you haven't read his work you look ridiculous by saying you "heartily disagree" him.

If you are ever assigned the task of responding to a 700 page treatise by an expert in his own field you better do more than assert that you "heartily disagree" with him.

• Saename
    Saename

For all it's worth, I did know of Carrier's work. But I do see your point. Would I be able to respond to his book? No. I admit I am no expert. I only read works of experts to form my own opinions. I will reconsider my stance against Carrier.

• cofty
    cofty
    I did know of Carrier's work

So why did you claim there are no serious scholars who reject the historicity of Jesus?

I will reconsider my stance against Carrier.

Good idea. I am not convinced by Carrier but it is important to face up to the very best arguments against any position we hold.

• Saename
    Saename
    cofty - So why did you claim there are no serious scholars who reject the historicity of Jesus?

Because I never considered him a serious scholar. His arguments were never convincing, and I do believe he does a lot of "footwork" to get to his conclusions. But as I said, I will revisit his arguments and try to take him more seriously.

• cofty
    cofty
    Because I never considered him a serious scholar.

Wow!

With a Ph.D. from Columbia University in ancient history, he specializes in the intellectual history of Greece and Rome, particularly ancient philosophy, religion, and science, with emphasis on the origins of Christianity and the use and progress of science under the Roman empire...

• Saename
    Saename

Yes, I'm aware of his credentials.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    saename: Yes, I'm aware of his credentials.

oh

So your definition of "serious scholar" is simply measured by whether or not his position supports yours

You really need to attend a good university (not one of those 'christian' ones that employ only scholars that agree with their 'christian' theology). I mean a real university. One that employs people who have legitimate credentials like Dr. Carrier

• Saename
    Saename
    OrphanCrow - So your definition of "serious scholar" is simply measured by whether or not his position supports yours

No, I did not say that. I've had to change my positions a number of times in the past. In the case of historicity of Jesus, I don't take Carrier seriously because of the footwork he does to get to his conclusions—for instance when he argued that Paul believed that Jesus was always a celestial figure, that he never walked on earth. To claim this position, he has to convince people how Galatians doesn't say what it says. I suspect his judgement in this case is clouded by his anti-theist stance.

• cofty
    cofty
    Really? We can earn the right to look down on people? - Xant

Apparently you have attained that status..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit