After Jesus fasted for 40 days, he was tempted by a man (not a fallen angel).

by quincemyles 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• quincemyles
    quincemyles
    They borrowed the Devil and demons concepts from their godless neighbors.

So why are you arguing against every subsequent reference to Satan in the NT?

I'm confused what your point is.

The point is that, without God actually revealing to Jews first that there were angels that fell, no human would know about that, i think. Fallen angels existed ,first, only in the imagination of the godless neighbors. Just because the Hebrews later imbibed that incorrect imagination does not lend credence to the existence of fallen angels. For instance, Fallen Titans born out of the mating of Uranus and earth, chased from heaven and chained by Zeus to be in a dark dungeon called Tartarus awaiting Judgment in fire was greatly developed by Greek poets such as Homer in his illiad around 800 B.C. No Hebrew knew stuff like that. That Jews later soaked in some of those fables does not in anyway lend credence to the idea that fallen Titans really existed bound in chains in a dark pit. Writers of the NT existed at a time that Jews had soaked in the Satan and his angels created by and existing only in the human imagination. 2 Peter 2:4 and Jude 6 alludes to those myths. Just because NT writers alluded to myth to teach good christian lessons does not lend support to the existence of Fallen Titans with a king over them. Unless YHWH himself said revealed to humans first that there were fallen angels, no human of his own ability would know that. That humans knew that stuff before God himself told them, may mean that the concepts of Satan and fallen Titans is purely fiction.

• Saename
    Saename
    never a jw - Quite likely developed during the Persian or Greek periods

In 330 BCE, Alexander the Great conquered Persia. Then, it was really like domino. The evolution of the concept of ha'satan into the concept of Satan continued until the Maccabean revolt. The evolution of the apocalyptic view played a big role.

• cofty
    cofty
    That humans knew that stuff before God himself told them, may mean that the concepts of Satan and fallen Titans is purely fiction.

Everything about god and spirits is fiction.

You can't even sensibly define what you mean by spirit...

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

quincemyles, you have an interesting angle and I think this angle is quite popular as it seeks a purely human jesus and examines how social formations impact community beliefs. But without the supernatural most other Christians would disagree with you.

My own take is that the supernatural was present in animism from very early on and related to forces and influences that were seen as gracious and as choosing to act favourably towards humans when normally these would act with violence - large predators and storms etc. Some indigenous communities still use words that we translate as supernatural in this way.

Apart from animism it is interesting to examine how social groups influence communities - so best wishes to you.

• quincemyles
    quincemyles

Everything about god and spirits is fiction.

Jesus was real. He died and was resurrected, then was seen levitating into the sky. That occurred in our time and space. My Faith is to be in that Jesus who was seen doing those things. He said he had a father in Heaven who becomes a Father to all those who believe in Jesus Christ. That is what matters and is solidly founded in reality objective to humans. God, spirits and the like may be fiction but Jesus, his death, resurrection and the One who resurrected him are not fiction. Thanks.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

quincemyles, please explain how Jesus levitating into the sky is solidly founded in reality objective to humans.

• Saename
    Saename

As I previously said, quincemyles is some crackpot who has no idea what s/he is talking about. It's been proven just now. (I mean... Jesus levitating into the sky is not fiction...?)

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Take the red pill, life is so much easier knowing fact from fiction.

• quincemyles
    quincemyles

Ruby 456.

quincemyles, please explain how Jesus levitating into the sky is solidly founded in reality objective to humans.

Jesus was baptized by John and killed at the hands of Pontius Pilate. Modern historians know that. First century Greek and Hebrew Historians wrote that he rose up appearing to more than 500 humans. They reported that men saw the resurrected Jesus levitate into the sky. If one does not admit the historic death-resurrection of Christ and appearance to more than 500 men, then one would not accept the solidly observed and reported fit of levitation.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

What about the zombies in jerusalem where they real too?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit