After Jesus fasted for 40 days, he was tempted by a man (not a fallen angel).

by quincemyles 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

If it confirms your bias it's plausible.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    saename - then I don't think you've been searching for years. Then you're just blind.

That's very Christian of you to be polite.....

.........and your logical fallacy is...........

ad hominem

You attacked your opponent's character or personal traits in an attempt to undermine their argument.

Ad hominem attacks can take the form of overtly attacking somebody, or more subtly casting doubt on their character or personal attributes as a way to discredit their argument. The result of an ad hom attack can be to undermine someone's case without actually having to engage with it.

• Saename
    Saename
    punkofnice - That's very Christian of you to be polite.....

Ha. Very funny. I'm an atheist.

And, no, that was not ad hominem. I don't think you know how ad hominem works. Here, I'll give you an example:

You're an idiot. Therefore, you're wrong.

But I'm not saying the above nor anything resembling it. I'm saying that there is clear evidence for the *historical* Jesus (not the christological Jesus.) The fact that you didn't find any suggests you haven't been looking for it or you're mentally blind. There's a difference. (See? I'm not saying that you're mentally blind and therefore you can't see the evidence—that would be ad hominem. I'm saying you don't see the evidence and therefore you either weren't looking for it or you're mentally blind...)

But on a side note, there is a freaking reason why there is not a single scholar who is employed at a university or college who teaches any relative field to Christianity and who doesn't believe that Jesus existed.

And if you're so lazy that you don't want to look for evidence for the *historical* Jesus, here I give you a two-part article that discusses both sides in great detail:

Evidence for the Historical Jesus Part 1

Evidence for the Historical Jesus Part 2

And if you're still not convinced, then read some books written by actual scholars. Then come back and talk about the evidence for or against Jesus.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Saename - I bow to you. You are so superior. All hail Saename, the most wonderous person ever. Boy, how did we ever survive without you?

Stop with the superior attitude. Your whole comment comes off as patronising, snooty and arrogant.

I don't think you know how ad hominem works. Here, I'll give you an example:

Sacrastic.It's funny, because you then employ ad hominem.

there is a freaking reason

Childish use of words.

And if you're so lazy

Sorry, don't you know what ad hominems are?

And if you're still not convinced, then read some books written by actual scholars. Then come back and talk about the evidence for or against Jesus.

Actual scholars? You don't know what I've read. You are just taking a superior position. Looks like you have an overbloated view of yourself.

No, I won't go away tail between my legs and then come back begging for forgiveness from you because you look down your nose at people.

either be civil or do one!

• cofty
    cofty
    there is clear evidence for the *historical* Jesus ... there is a freaking reason why there is not a single scholar who is employed at a university or college who teaches any relative field to Christianity and who doesn't believe that Jesus existed. .. read some books written by actual scholars - Saename

The Christ Myth theory is a minority position among scholars but it is not absent. The most recent contribution to the field is Dr Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason to Doubt".

Perhaps you should read it for an appreciation of both sides of the debate.

• Saename
    Saename

cofty - The Christ Myth theory is a minority position among scholars but it is not absent. The most recent contribution to the field is Dr Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason to Doubt".

Perhaps you should read it for an appreciation of both sides of the debate.

I know about both sides. I happen to heartily disagree with Carrier.

punkofnice - Looks like you have an overbloated view of yourself.

Possibly. I admit that I am arrogant.

punkofnice - No, I won't go away tail between my legs and then come back begging for forgiveness from you because you look down your nose at people.

Okay. I don't look down at people. I look down at certain people.

• cofty
    cofty
    I happen to heartily disagree with Carrier - saname

Have you read his 700 page book that lays out his evidence in detail?

You claimed that there "is a freaking reason why there is not a single scholar who is employed at a university or college who teaches any relative field to Christianity and who doesn't believe that Jesus existed"

If you now claim that you know Dr Carrier's evidence well enough to dismiss it, why did you assert serious scholars such as Dr Carrier didn't exist?

I look down at certain people

You are a child, you haven't earned the right to look down on anybody.

If you are serious about going to uni - and I hope you are - you will learn more if you lose your know-it-all attitude.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Saename: there "is a freaking reason why there is not a single scholar who is employed at a university or college who teaches any relative field to Christianity and who doesn't believe that Jesus existed"

I will add my encouragement to Cofty's. Yes, please do attend university. And after you graduate, re-visit this statement

• Saename
    Saename

cofty, I said that there is not a single scholar employed at a university or college. To my knowledge, Carrier is not employed at either university or college. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    you haven't earned the right to look down on anybody

Really? We can earn the right to look down on people?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit