Introducing Myself...

by kyria 66 Replies latest jw friends

• jwbot
    jwbot

Kyria: You story is so moving! You are only 2 years older than me but you have lived so much! It is amazing to think of how far we have come. I have the same attitude you have, about becomming successful. They will see how good we both are doing, we showed them, right? I am currently in college trying to work my way into success. I am encouraged by your story, that you dropped out of highschool, but yet you are not giving up and you are doing so well for yourself. It is obvious that you have a wonderful future ahead of you. Another way to think of our backgrounds: it can be looked at as sort of an education. We have pretty much experienced another culture. We as women especially, can empathize with people who are oppressed...it is no doubt that a woman who is a witness has gone through extra hardships mentally, emotionally and a lot of times physically. We know techniques in brainwashing, picking up on things like language and information oppression. I credit this background as a learning experience and certainly helping me be the determined person I am today. Because of my background, I am more determined than ever to show my family that I can be strong and successful as a woman and former Jehovahs Witness. We have not "fallen away" as they would love to have us beleive. Welcome to the board, and I really enjoy all of the posts you have made so far.

• Jesika
    Jesika

WOW what a story!!!! Welcome!!!!

What a STRONG woman you are..........it is truely inspiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing it with us and cant wait to see more from you!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,

Jesika

• micheal
    micheal

Beautiful. That was just beautiful.

Welcome

• scumrat
    scumrat

Hey Kyria, Welcome. Please let us know when you are going to perform in Boston. There's a few of us here that would love to see you.

Scumrat

• Yesterdays Child
    Yesterdays Child

Welcome wow I really enjoyed that.Would love to hear that show at a comedy club.

• kyria
    kyria

Thank you all. I will let you know when the performances start. I am going to try to get a theater I know of in Davis Square, Somerville. I'll keep you posted.

Nosferatu, don't let the JW thinking get you down, you can be a woman if you want to!

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Welcome Kyria,

It is wonderful having survivors like you show up here discovering they have friends with similar experiences.

I especially liked:

Leaving was the hardest thing I ever did, but I'm so glad to have had that kind of experience in my life. I gained an insight into parts of human nature that you can only understand by experiencing them. I know I have a lot of neuroses and I still suffer from depression, but I'm proud of who I am.

Been there, done that. Now on with life.

Looking forward to more from you, Kyria.

Steve

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

welcome kyria!!!!! Glad to have you here!

I felt exactly the same way you are feeling right now when I found this board 1 1/2 years ago. Being involved with JW's is such a uniquely f*cked-up experience, it is so nice to meet so many people who have escaped the 'tower and have found a better life outside the JW mental prison.

Your story reminded me a lot of a book by Barbara Grizzuti Harrison titled Visions of Glory: A History and Memoir of Jehovah's Witnesses. She was a tough east coast woman, converted to JWism as a teenager, served at Bethel during the Knorr presidency, and eventually became disillusioned and cut her ties to the borg and went on to become a talented writer. The book is out of print, but you may find it at the library or on Ebay. You can also read it online by clicking here. So READ IT OKAY!!!! LOL

by the way, love the MST3K avatar.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger
    I have met so many good and amazing people and learned so much about what true spirituality means. I've even come to a point where I find religion to be interesting again, although I don't think I could ever bring myself to join any kind of organization

Ditto - it was the "worldy"' people that saved my life after I left. Showing more christian love in 1 finger than many of the JWs entire bodies that I had known.

Also, our therapy experiences were very similar....driving towards suicide when what we wanted to do was LIVE, and live happily.

Im so happy you''ve found our little niche, and look forward to hearing more of your posts!

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

WOW!! That is a great story Kyria, I'm so glad you got away from that and found a life worth leading!!! I wish you all the happiness and success this world has to offer, and hope you stick around. I for one would love to read more of your witty writing! Thank you for sharing your story, it was beautiful!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit