Did others experience this on the ministry or among JWs generally?

by slimboyfat 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hoser
    hoser

The best one I ever heard was after Armageddon I'm going to have that house and hire sister so and so to clean it for me.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Yes. I know a 'sister(tm)' that wanted the Fyffe house (banana people), near Market Deeping, Lincs, after they were destroyed at 'armageddon(tm)'.

I confirm that JWs have indeed said this.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

SBF OP comments would be shot down by me if I was still in...

The tribes of Israel were assigned land...the pattern after the Big A therefore, logically, given that Jehoover is a "God of Order", is that your land and house would be "assigned to you".

Thus you couldn't choose where to live or what house to nab...

We talked about this in Pioneer School one day...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes notsurewheretogo I remember someone making exactly that response.

• sir82
    sir82

I seem to recall the "this is where I'll live after Armageddon" comments from many years ago, I haven't heard it for a long time though.

But if I had a penny for every "they already have their paradise" comment thrown about for every even moderately nice house, I'd already be retired and, well, "living in my paradise".

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

I heard these statements many times in "field circus." Most of the times it was putting "dibs" on a certain house in the territory. Other times, it was extended to a certain car or even a motorboat in the driveway. Young ones would follow the example of hearing others stake out a claim. Most disturbing was a brother staking a claim on a widowed woman. Geez. Really demented stuff.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Yes, been out for 32 years and remember often hearing this. Our territory ranged from older city neighbourhoods to a beautiful area with lakefront cottages and large century homes. Guess which ones the JWs were putting dibs on!

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey

I have heard similar. I remember a pioneer showing a householder a depiction of the new system in some print offer. The householder called him materialistic. He was upset about the label all morning. Funny what sticks!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I find it interesting that the common JW rebuttal of this idea is technical and textual rather than ethical. Instead of simply saying: "cut that out, it's a crass, selfish and pathetic attitude to have to fellow human beings", they come up with: "the prophet Ezekiel (or some such) says Jehovah will divide the land according to the spiritus tribes, so we can't really know which heathen's house and land we will be allocated once they are all slaughtered".

• sir82
    sir82

"cut that out, it's a crass, selfish and pathetic attitude to have to fellow human beings"

That's because they view non-JWs as less than "fellow human beings", until/unless they have a favorable response to the JW message.

It's not necessarily malicious - it's just how humans justify or deal with the prospect of large-scale slaughter (such as they expect at Armageddon). It is a coping mechanism.

In many if not most wars, the enemy is portrayed as sub-human. If a soldier starts thinking too much about how the guy on the other side of the line has a wife & kids & a pet turtle, he's less inclined to throw a grenade at him.

Ever seen how the Japanese are portrayed in Warner Brothers cartoons (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc.) from 1942-1945? Same principle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit