Apologists saying that the JWs shouldn't be banned, what the hell!??

by Crazyguy 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• atomant
    atomant

my theory is they feel guilty and just incase the witnesses are correct in their teachings and harmageddon occurs they hope god will take pity on them and let them through.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I don't feel the current crop of JWs would become "strengthened" by the inconvenience of a ban I think they would find it exciting for a little while but I also think for the majority it would get old fast and they would start to lose interest in the mini-dramas of the WT and just get on with their lives.

The majority of JWs are not die-hards anymore they have a very tenuous grasp on their religions policies, doctrines and meaning. Most would fold under the slightest persistent pressure.

• blondie
    blondie

jws are seen as just another religion, American religion, infiltrating their culture.

There are other religions in Russian from what the Russian see as the same source, with the same goal, to convert their citizens, and to put their country in a bad light.

Also as has been pointed out, jws view persecution as a validation from god that they alone are the true religion and that is fulfillment of prophecy totally ignoring that other religions are facing the same persecution for the same things.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

biblexaminer, regarding your comment:

You must first be viewed as having a "political position" or "party" before you can be designated as suffering "political repression".

Come on! You don't need to be part of a political party to become a victim of political repression. If a citizen is deprived of his basic rights or brutalized by a ruling state, you become a victim of political or state repression, irrespective of your political stand.

Read about the political repression undertaken by Stalin during The Great Purge in 1937-38. It was not just against some communist parties, but also against millions of peasants and ethnic minorities. Nearly 1-2 million people died during the purge and the red terror attack. All these people are rightly designated as victims of political repression. They were normal citizens.

• steve2
    steve2

I don't feel the current crop of JWs would become "strengthened" by the inconvenience of a ban I think they would find it exciting for a little while but I also think for the majority it would get old fast and they would start to lose interest in the mini-dramas of the WT and just get on with their lives.

Perhaps that is true of JWs from Western democracies - but the JWs from Eastern Europe and Russia are undoubtedly very different in their outlook.

In general terms, the Russian people are pretty stoical and determined by nature - and hardly back down when the bulldozing authorities use force. I have read a few accounts of Christians from other groups continuing to meet in their vandalized church halls after successive attempts to drive them out. Russian Witnesses appear to be of the same calibre.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I don't think my 80-year old half demented JW mother would deserve to be put in jail for wanting to attend a religious meeting of the JW's. That's just not a fair thing.

There are other ways the Russian authorities CAN curtail the harm done by the JW organization. Attacking the 150.000 believers isn't one of them.

Tax them, sue them, regulate them, fine them. Works better than a blanket ban.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Village Idiot and I actually agree on something.

• honest
    honest

I for one am happy that finally a government has recognised the evilness of this cult. About time. I now hope other countries will toughen their stance on what is classified a religion and punish those who don't comply with basic human rights.

We have to remember Russia warned watchtower and gave them plenty of time to change their policies and publications. Watchtower refused to comply with the extremist laws and now will be banned.

It's fair.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Cult behaviors should be criminalized--that much we agree on.

I am having a hard time finding evidence banning a religion itself has a particular effect one way or the other.

If anyone has any evidence, please share it.

For me, it is important not to form an opinion based on a guess or emotions. I put that behavior behind me when I left the cult.

• StephenMyers
    StephenMyers

I think the ban will make it worse for child abuse victims to report the crime to the police and less likely the elders report to the police as they are committing a crime by congregating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit