What Was Your Reputation In The Congregation?

by minimus 90 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I think that those who were "exemplary" and then left the congregation, totally befuddle the rest. They just can't grasp what happened. It also makes them wonder and "think".

I wish it did make them think. In fact it is more likely that they only start to blacken the reputation and memory of that one " I always thought there was something not quite right about him" they say afterwards - " But they went out that it might be shown up that not all are of our sort" 1 John 2.19 I have used that verse myself in the past

• shamus
    shamus

Ha ha! Good thread again, Minimus!

First coming into the troof: A lovely young man!

Move to another cong, still studying: A misfit, which was accurate.

Another cong: A lovely young man, but a misfit!

Another cong: Someone who needed help.... none given ever, though.

Back to my first cong's territory: THE SPAWN OF SATAN, REBELLIOUS, HORRENDOUS, then, later, 180 degree turn, BEAUTIFUL YOUNG BROTHER, SPIRITUAL, LOVING, (fake bastards)

Yet another cong: Misfit. Then, on Anti-depressants again, A BEAUTIFUL YOUNG BROTHER, SPIRITUAL, LOVING, until I stopped going to meetings, and nobody cared. Bring back to THE SPAWN OF SATAN, REBELLIOUS, HORRENDOUS,

Just another day in a Jehovahs' Witless Kindumb hall. Two faced weiners!

• teejay
    teejay
    My family have been Witnesses since the 50's. When I resigned as an elder, I was asked by the body and the CO not to do it. I was very much considered the "voice of reason" and I had considerable judicial experience... Today a MS came by my work to ask me how I was doing and that I was very much missed...

Mini, This post of yours is, IMO, one of the nicest you?ve made here. If it is even close to accurate it suggests to me that you have been wasting a good number of your posts on questions (not that there?s anything wrong with that) when you could have been spending more of them sharing helpful insights into the elder thought process and more of your experiences over the years. Yes I know that we have other former elders already posting here, but, like DannyBear, Amazing, JT and others you would/could bring a flavor of your own which would surely be appreciated by many, including me (not that your questions don?t have an appeal all their own). I hope you take this in the way I mean it. My comment here is only an observation and not a criticism of you in any way. It's just that I liked what you said, as you have (finally!) revealed yourself to have been in your congregation one of those kinds of men that I always looked up to from the time I was a little kid. FWIW.

• sandy
    sandy

I was looked upon as mild, meek and submissive. I was a good example to everyone. Even when my field service time started to drop and my meeting attendance was not so great I was still asked to do parts in the service meetings.

I just have a sweet innocent look that fooled a lot of people.

• minimus
    minimus

But Teejay, that's MY opinion. Perhaps, a few might disagree. But I will say this, I went through 2 steps when I was an elder. The 1st was of being a young (the youngest in the district) elder, a bit too zealous for the organization, but still caring about people. When I realized that my style was abrasive to some, I recognized the need to readjust, because after all, my reason for being an welder ws to HELP people, never hurt them. Once I grew in age and maturity, I believe the congregation appreciated what I did offer. When the Circuit Overseer actually shed tears in front of the body when I told him I was resolute in my decision, that did touch me.......And Teejay----You NEVER cause me any offense. I like you.

• kyria
    kyria

It's interesting to me to hear of someone older and so established in the congregation stepping down. I mean, I've never talked with my mother about this because she's 65, has had a terrible life, and I couldn't bear to take her fairy tale away.

• minimus
    minimus

Alot of people NEED to live in fairy tale land. The real world is too unbearable for them.

• kyria
    kyria
    Alot of people NEED to live in fairy tale land. The real world is too unbearable for them.

I tend to agree. I don't know if I'm selling my mother short by not telling her what I think, or if I just know her too well and am protecting her. It brings her the only happiness she has in her life, and it's already done it's damage to my brother and me, so I don't see any reason to bring it up right now. Also, I didn't realize you were actually an ex-elder at first. I thought you were just kidding... :)

• minimus
    minimus

Reality is a harsh thing. Some people just can't deal. Pity.......Minimus the Pragmatist......

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

MINIMUS SAID A lot of people NEED to live in fairy tale land. The real world is too unbearable for them.

I assume said partially tongue in cheek --but it is a very serious and good point minimus and so true

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit