What Was Your Reputation In The Congregation?

by minimus 90 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I had a good JW reputation. We followed most unwritten dub rules pretty strictly, with the exception of R movies. Not once did I have a judicial committee hearing.

I was an MS for a while, did territories, literature, sound system, etc. I gave good talks (although I hated giving them). I think people were pretty shocked when we stopped going; we didn't appear to be "fringe" dubs.

• starfish422
    starfish422

Hmmmm...up until I was 17 years + 11 months, my reputation was stellar. Third child in a family of four strong Witness kids, PO's daughter, out in service every weekend (of course, the arrangement was held at OUR house ), auxiliary pioneered the summer before grade 12, answered at every meeting (if I didn't, my father glowered at me), Theocratic Ministry School star LOL, and fine association for any young Witness adult.

What happened after that? Well, at 17 years + 10.5 months, I met my future (worldly) husband. Didn't take long for the other Witness kids at school to discover and report my "transgressions". At 18 years + 1 month, I left home and left The Truth (TM), shocking everyone in the congregation including my own parents.

• maxwell
    maxwell

Part of my personality was the same as it is now. I was quiet and people knew me for that.

As far as towing the JW line, I was probably seen as mostly good, but not quite stellar. I was regular in field service, studied for the meetings and answered and participated at every meetings. I did well enough to be used for various chores around the hall like the literature counter, attendant, reading at the bookstudy and mikes. I was actually trusted enough to pray in front of the congregation at the Service/School meetings. Supposedly the congregation as a whole has to have some confidence in you for that. Obviously some elders felt that way. But I never had a repuation good enough to be appointed as a ministerial servant. I think if I had been there a little longer and I had done a little more in field service (couldn't quite get that average over 10/mo.), I might have been eventually appointed to ministerial servant.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I was considered a VERY STRONG sister.! The elders used to say If I was a man I would have been an elderA lot in the congregation looked upon me as a Mum, Gran!! Friend. I was always going on "BOOK"studies with someone or another. 10 people got baptised Now you know how stupid I am,was, I was more under mind control that most here it seems.

• teejay
    teejay
    Is your reputation the same here as it was in the congregation?

Pretty much.

• minimus
    minimus

Elsewhere, what a great history! I like it!

• kyria
    kyria

Hello everyone, I just found this board. It's fantastic. Pardon me if I end up responding to a lot of threads... I have never had anyone to talk about these things with before.

I was raised as a JW, so I think everyone always saw me as a shy little girl. The elders had been called in quite often to "help" with my troubles as a teenager (gosh, I wonder what could have caused all those mental issues I had), so they also saw me as slightly depressed, but in good standing. The elders had a collective heart attack when I suddenly dropped the bomb that I'd been cheating on my husband and smoking pot, and no, I wasn't sorry, and yes, they could go ahead and disfellowship me. I never saw so many creepy old men with their jaws on the industrial carpeting before (of course, I also went to my disfellowshipping meeting half-cocked on Jack Daniels).

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I started out as "Zealous Proselyte".

After a couple of years, I became "Pesky Nuisance" because in my zeal I started bringing the homeless and the mentally ill to the Kingdom Hall with me.

Eventually, I wrote an article for Awake about how I was a "recovering homosexual". The article was given to the Circuit Overseer, who delivered it to the congregation PO, whose wife and son told everyone about it. I then became "Congregation Faggot", and was shunned as if I were on reproof.

When I finally got reproof, I became "Bad Association" and was treated like I was df'd by many in the congregation.

I can only think of what I am referred to today. Officially, I know the WTBTS refers to me as "Homosexual Apostate".

• minimus
    minimus

KYRIA----WELCOME!!! Tell us exelders more details.

• Gadget
    Gadget

Welcome Kyria.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit