Anti-Americanism

by Englishman 105 Replies latest jw friends

• dubla
    dubla

simon-

I just think you're Anti-British

If you deny it then it will prove my point and if you admit it then it will prove it as well.

(that's what I think reasoning with you is like)

first off, i dont know that youve ever even tried to "reason" with me. your normal response to me is a yk- style, pompus, "im too far above you intellectually to waste my time with your petty nonsense"...followed by some smirky smily to show just how pointless my opinions are. secondly, your above example makes no sense whatsoever. if you could show, by my posting history, that i had a pattern of making negative comments about the u.k. and/or the british, then youd have a solid point. when have i ever made such wild accusations with no backing, as you imply i have? eman started this thread asking how to identify someone that is anti-american. i answered with a paragraph of patterns to look for.....for the purposes of this forum, posting habits. your response to that was to say i was "arguing over words", whatever that means. can you explain how my first post on this thread was "arguing over words"? if youre just going to come back with another one or two liner attempting to further berate me, then dont bother........... if youre going to attempt intelligent discourse, then by all means reply. aa

• Simon
    Simon

Dubla. The reason I do not discuss things with you is because you do not stick to the issues but throw up irrelevencies and start picking on odd words like "oooh, you said always when it's actually only 99.995 % of the time"

I've added a smiley just to annoy you.

Thanks for reminding me ... I forgot the other "arguments" used along with "urgh, you're being Anti-American":

• You are jealous
    • You're country is shite
    • The French are to blame for everything
    • We are responsible for winning WW II

Of course, none of these are true.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Well actually the French are to blame for everything.

Expatbrit

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Simon..... dubla..... you two behave or I'm going to lock this thread. I wish the both of you would read the posting guidelines.

Now for your sins I have come up with a plan so you'll both gain forgiveness. Strip down to your original birthday suits and give each other a big old kiss including tongue, after all we have to show the french some repenteness of our own after that silly freedom fries thing. So a big old naked French kiss is due

We await the photos...............................

• dubla
    dubla

simon-

Dubla. The reason I do not discuss things with you is because you do not stick to the issues but throw up irrelevencies and start picking on odd words like "oooh, you said always when it's actually only 99.995 % of the time"

I've added a smiley just to annoy you.

what did i tell you? maybe you missed this:

if youre just going to come back with another one or two liner attempting to further berate me, then dont bother

i said that because i really dont have any interest in stooping to your playground antics. who is not sticking to the issue at hand here, really? you can say what you want about what you percieve my posting habits to be, however fictional those perceptions may be. the fact is you obviously have no response to me other than to try and derail the topic at hand, and you cant even back up your own ludicrous statements when called on them ("arguing over words").

Thanks for reminding me ... I forgot the other "arguments" used along with "urgh, you're being Anti-American":

• You are jealous
    • You're country is shite
    • The French are to blame for everything
    • We are responsible for winning WW II

Of course, none of these are true.

when have i said any of the above? you are really veering off base here.....i think youre trying a little too hard.

aa

• Englishman
    Englishman

If one good thing has come out of this thread it's the fact that criticism of some facets of any country's policies does not necessarily mean that the criticiser is anti-American.

One other thing. Up until 9/11, many folk saw America in the way that Hollywood presented it. That's all changed now, and we're also having to get used to American thinking and policies, if only because we're now far more aware of them than we were previously.

Englishman.

• talesin
    talesin

stillajwxelder

yes IMHO -it boils down to jealousy --in the case of France it is that English language dominates the world -- and obssessed with the fact that it is the English speaking nations that stop talking and just get the job done --USA -- GB -- Australia - Canada -- if it was left to the French the Nazis would still be drinking coffee on the streets of Paris

This remark was very insulting to the peoples of Europe, and please don't lump Canadians in with your comments about the USA - If it wasn't for the Japanese attacking Pearl Harbour, the USA would have kept its figurative thumb up its a** forever! France would never have been occupied if FDR had acted in a timely fashion! BTW, this is not anti-American, it's anti-self-aggrandizing comments that say your nation is better than everyone else's! The biggest heroes from WWII, IMO, were the Dutch, who all wore armbands with a Star of David to defy the SS. They had no 'military might', but stood up for what they believed in! Shame on anyone for thinking 'we' in the west are better than anyone else in the world! Not anti-american, but pro-earth, talesin quote: ralph w. emerson (an american), Politics "Our statute is a currency which we stamp with our own portrait; it soon becomes unrecognizable, and in process of time will return to the mint. Nature is not democratic, nor limited-monarchical, but despotic, and will not be fooled or abated of any jolt to her authority by the protest of her sons; and as fast as the public mind is opened to more intelligence, the code is seen to be brute and stammering. It speaks not articulately, and must be made to. Meantime the education of the general mind never stops ... The history of the State sketches in coarse outline the progress of thought, and follows at a distance the delicacy of culture and of aspiration."

• Simon
    Simon

I guess now that the various polls and ratings show that the majority of Americans now think their country is heading in the wrong direction / disapprove of the way things are done that some will class the majority of their own country-man as being "Anti American" as well !!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Americans don't like it when other countries criticize us.
    Southerners don't like it when the Yankees criticize us.
    Texans don't like when Florida or the other states criticize us.
    Dallas doesn't like it when Houston criticizes us.
    North Dallas doesn't like it when South Dallas criticizes us.
    Plano doesn't like it when the rest of the northern suburbs criticizes us.
    West Plano doesn't like it when East Plano criticizes us.

Americans are a funny breed. We feel we have the God given right to bash the bejesus out of our country or our government, but don't let any outsider do it. The question then becomes where that line is drawn. Who is them, and who is us?

Sometimes it all depends on who you are and where you're living. And that's America.

• talesin
    talesin
    Americans are a funny breed. We feel we have the God given right to bash the bejesus out of our country or our government, but don't let any outsider do it. The question then becomes where that line is drawn. Who is them, and who is us?

Sometimes it all depends on who you are and where you're living. And that's America.

I luv ya, Big Tex, you and Nina. Yr so right!!!

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit