Anti-Americanism

by Englishman 105 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    Sometimes I just have to give it a little kiss before I fall asleep.

What, no tounge?

• dubla
    dubla

simon-

No, I don't think you have a point and just like to argue over words.

well, to correct your confusion then......my point was that you can usually tell if someone is a bigot, even if they dont come right out and say they hate xxxx's (insert specific race, religion, sexual preference). i gave some examples to back up this idea, and it has nothing to do with arguing over words.

aa

• Simon
    Simon

I just think you're Anti-British

If you deny it then it will prove my point and if you admit it then it will prove it as well.

(that's what I think reasoning with you is like)

• jelly
    jelly

I'm not Anti-British as long as they know their place.

Terry

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Truthfully, EMan, Americans probably disagree with American policies more than anyone else does. To me, disagreeing doesn't make one anti-American. To qualify for that moniker, it takes one constantly bashing us, no matter what.

When I say my country is the best, I am speaking for me and me alone. Truthfully, as you should know by now, I hold other countries in high esteem, but still prefer my own. The 5 years I spent overseas made me appreciate America a lot more. However, I also have to say it isn't the same country I left.

What many fail to realize is that American culture is actually a blending of many cultures, since most of us came over by immigration long ago. Most from Europe and because the people wanted more freedom then Europe offered them.

All countries have their problems including us, we aren't perfect. But, we are strong and although many are jealous of that fact, they also don't mind calling on us when in need. And, Americans are always there when needed. We are also a very generous people.

• Simon
    Simon

I think a lot of the problem arises from the fact that some immediately start with the "Anti American" claims at the first sign of any criticism and not when it is 'constant bashing'. This then gets the backs-up of people who are making fair criticisms and just see it as a cheap and rather transparent way of dismissing valid points.

Also, I think some see constant expessions of "we're great, we're the best" etc ... and may also get annoyed by this and more inclined to point our reasons why they disagree.

• jelly
    jelly

Honestly, I could not care less. If a bunch of Euro's want to believe that all the worlds problems are because of America let them.

Terry

• Englishman
    Englishman
    If a bunch of Euro's want to believe that all the worlds problems are because of America let them.

What a peculiar thing to say.

Englishman.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Disagreement with American policy or actions is not anti-Americanism. But, when the USA is the only topic of disagreement with nearly everything bad on earth, and then comparisons between our President and Adolf Hitler become common place ... plus ... couple this with denial over what other nations do that is far worse ... when it becomes all too obvious that intellectual honesty is grossly missing from any discussion ... THEN ... I wold still not call it anto-Americanism ... rather, I wold call it extremely unhealthy obsession over the fact that one is jealous because America is the lone super-power, and the country of the plaintiff is a little dip-crap has-been nation that gave up its super status.

But then again, who am I? ... Just another ugly evil American bent on taking over the world.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

yes IMHO -it boils down to jealousy --in the case of France it is that English language dominates the world -- and obssessed with the fact that it is the English speaking nations that stop talking and just get the job done --USA -- GB -- Australia - Canada -- if it was left to the French the Nazis would still be drinking coffee on the streets of Paris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit