Anti-Americanism

by Englishman 105 Replies latest jw friends

• Panda
    Panda

E-man,

If you use the word Anti-American as a noun then that would be an oponent or adversary; possibly a rival, foe, or enemy. So if I said "you are an anti-American." I would mean you are the enemy.

Now if we use anti-American as an adjective , as in "I am hindered by anti-American forces." So then in this sense the anti-American as adjective is adverse to American, antagonistic towards American, impeding American interests, obstructive to American interests, hostile to anything American (including policies or people), or unfriendly towards American interests.

By these definitions terrorists are definabley anti-American as a noun or adjective.

So if you say you are a little bit Anti-American well, that's like being a little bit pregnant. I'd suggest finding another less disagreeable phrase. Something like "I sure do like American people.", or "I sure don't agree with all US gov't foreign policy." Because the foreign policy which kept the UK solvent in the 1980s was something you'd probably like. While going to war to save anyone but Brits asses would be policy you wouldn't agree with, right? I'm just asking.

As we say here in Texas "Them's fightin' words hun."

American Panda

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Englishman:

Yes, it's very very simple;

If someones criticising America and is displaying a double standard by doing so (as I describe), then it is an ideological attack that could fairly be described as anti-American.

If someone is criticising an action taken by America because they object to that action no matter who does it, they are not being anti-American.

I'd love for an American to comment on this; I personally can't see any flaw in the logic of my statement, but I can see ideological reasons why a patriotic American might not want to coment on it as admitting to such an obvious distinction removes a favourate defence.

Stacy:

If a person keeps repeating "I'm not a racist" over and over then what that make you think?

If someone said that and by their actions, statements and behaviour obviously had a deep planted ideological hatered of people of a different race and nations comprised of different races to theirs, I'd think they were full of it.

If someone said that as a response to people accusing them of being a racist because they objected to a someone of a different race to theirs doing something they would object a person of their race doing, then the person making the accusation of racism would be using a terminological inexactitude as an easy method of ignoring deserved criticism, and the person being accused would not be a racist.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Just a point here from the Brit point of view. We do lambast our own country for a pastime. We've always done it. However, underneath we are very patriotic, it's just that we don't make that patriotism a part of our daily lives.

Therefore, IMO, some criticism of what America does is really no big deal. It's not anti-American to criticise.

Mind you, when I go to America, I wouldn't be so vulgar as to offer ANY criticism at all. When you're a guest, it's not polite to find fault with the host.

Englishman.

• Redneck
    Redneck

Abaddon,

Yes, it's very very simple;

If someones criticising America and is displaying a double standard by doing so (as I describe), then it is an ideological attack that could fairly be described as anti-American.

If someone is criticising an action taken by America because they object to that action no matter who does it, they are not being anti-American.

American here..Ya statement and the logic is right it is simple...But here lies the problem with it..There is a big differance in saying I dont agree with lets say, the attack on Iraq ..That would be imho not AA however when you go on and start insulting the president and trashing the US Administration and accusing them of all kinds of things it becomes AA...

• Englishman
    Englishman
    There is a big differance in saying I dont agree with lets say, the attack on Iraq ..That would be imho not AA however when you go on and start insulting the president and trashing the US Administration and accusing them of all kinds of things it becomes AA...

I think that is definitely going down the A-A route. Although lot's of patriotic Brits do trash Tony Blair and his administration without being anti-Brit.

Englishman.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

hamas says

In spite of this, I would much rather like a McDonalds or Burger King in my neighbourhood than a huge statue of some crazy Ummah or Islamic dictator. We slag off the yanks, but i'd much rather want them calling the shots than some Ayatollah basing everything on a religious textbook that leaves us back in the dark age.

Absolutely I agree with this

• jwbot
    jwbot

I am fond of the country I was born into (America) and because of that, and being humanist...I always want to strive to make it better. I think someone would be anti-american if they are satisfied with the way things are when things clearly need to change for the better. We are a country that values freedom of speech and equality-but we are not there yet. We still have sexism and hatred against different sexual orientations, and in some cases, people are really not able to speak their mind. I recognize President Bush as president, but I wholeheartedly do not agree with his policies. I will definitely vote against him. I do not think I would be anti-american to VOTE.

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Hear, Hear, JWbot, I agree with you there! Disagreeing with the policies and actions of your President do not make you anti-American. I love my country, and it's people, but I also love people from many other lands, and disagree with their governments as well. Does hating Saddam make you anti-Iraq? No, becuase you obviously care about the well being of its people. Disagreeing with a war doesn't make you Anti-American, it makes you anti-War. Many people I know hated Clinton, and bashed him on a regular basis, but then tell me that disliking Bush's policies makes me anti-American. I think there is a definite double standard that has sprung up in America, and I think it's part and parcel with suppressing dissent and free speech.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

People very conveniently throw the term anit-american around when it suits their argument, a really great stand by if you don't have any facts to back up an argument.

Be critical of Bush, even if you have your facts strait, you're anti-american.

Have a problem with foreign policy, you're anti-american.

Don't like the Iraqi war and the very weak reasons behind it? You're anti-american and a soldier-hater.

LOL. People are morons.

ash

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith
    Be critical of Bush, even if you have your facts strait, you're anti-american.

What? Well I've been pro Bush here and been called many names. Yet I haven't called anyone a name for saying they are pro anything.

Being anti Bush is fine, go ahead. It is your right. But I suggest a plan for the future other than I hate Bush. As soon as hear one I'll pay attention. As soon as I hear a plan to fight terror I'll listen. All I've ever heard is Bush lied about Iraq. Of course Bush's "lies" were exactly the same things as Clinton was saying about Iraq. The same things as Hillary said right after 9/11.

Oh and by the way, if you say something anti soldier here during a time of war then I myself consider you anti american. I have read many threads here where people like Trauma (yeah I know he's gone) have referred to soldiers as baby killers and war criminals. No problem there. It was accepted here.

I also suggest that those of you who don't live in America come off sounding anti american almost every time you talk about America. I don't want people outside of my family badmouthing my family. Same goes for those outside America. Sure you can badmouth it all you want but then don't come back saying your aren't anti american. You are.

Yeah I know the standard line, if I don't like it here leave. How many times has that been posted? Looks to me like a heck of a lot of people here have left already haven't they?

Actually I like it fine here, there are some great people here. But for crying out loud why is an ex-dub board so obsessed with America?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit