Anti-Americanism

by Englishman 105 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

What does it mean to be an anti-American?

How do you define someone as anti-American?

If you strongly disapprove of, say, America's foreign policies, yet basically have an affection for American people, does this still make you an anti-American?

Is it possible that people are being accused of being anti-American inaccurately?

I'm aware that this thread could be dynamite. Consequently - and unusually - I intend to moderate my own thread so that no insults or name calling appear here. So I shall ruthlessly *ZAP* any snide comments. I'm not looking for a list of "sins", either real or imaginary, my intention is to get opinions from as many folk as possible in the hope of increasing our understanding of each other's viewpoints.

What do you think, can we talk about this in a friendly fashion?

Englishman.

• donkey
    donkey

Do you like your tea wet?

• Englishman
    Englishman

Yes, but I prefer coffee.

Americano, with a dash of cream.

Englishman.

• donkey
    donkey

Only a silly Englishman would talk to a Donkey!!!

On a more serious note, I believe nationalism and patriotism are as goofy as religion and have the same general effect.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

My prediction for this thread is that everyone will enter with their idea of what anti-americanism is and will leave with the same one plus some negative opinions of those that argue against them. .

Dictionary.com says:

an·ti-A·mer·i·can (
    adj.

Opposed or hostile to the government, official policies, or people of the United States.

---

So Eman, a person CAN accurately be considered anti-american if they "strongly disapprove of, say, America's foreign policies, yet basically have an affection for American people", according to this commonly held definition.

Is it possible that people are being accused of being anti-American inaccurately?
    Not possible!!!
  • Englishman
    Englishman

Interesting viewpoint Stinky.

See I would have thought that one could be Anti-American foreign policy withpout being labelled as anti-American per se. It seems odd to be labelled as anti-American if you are only opposed to one facet of America.

You might be interested to know that over here we expect other countries to be anti-British generally. I guess that it comes from once being numer uno, even if that was almost a century ago.

Englishman.

• berylblue
    berylblue
    If you strongly disapprove of, say, America's foreign policies, yet basically have an affection for American people, does this still make you an anti-American?

Great definition, SP.

I disapprove strongly of US foreign policy, and I'm not anti-American!!

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Eman-

Keep in mind that I am merely giving the dictionary definition, not necessarily my own opinion.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

No Stinky, I disagree; if someone is opposed to 'something' they would allow a third party to do, but object to it on the grounds it is being done by Americans, then they are anti-American.

If someone is opposed to America doing 'something' that they would be opposed to a third party doing, they are not anti-American, but anti-whatever the 'something' is.

It is the signal failure by many American's to recognise the difference between these two situations that result in much of the whining heard on this board about anti-Americanism.

If France invaded a country on the pretexts of that country being linked with Al-Quaeda and amassing WoMD, and six months later there was still no concrete proof of either activity, I would think that the French government were either incompetant or corrupt and duplicitous. Why should the US be treated any differently?

It ain't got nothin' to do with your flag, it's got to do with what ya do.

• Englishman
    Englishman

That's interesting, Abaddon.

So being opposed to something America does, is not in your view an anti-American viewpoint.

If you were simply opposed as to what America is, then that would be anti-American.

That makes sense, there is a tremendous difference between the 2 viewpoints. Maybe this is where some misunderstandings lie. For example, I have heard several Americans deride the UK monarchy, which is quite a big part of our culture. I've never assumed that those folk were anti-British for holding those views however, I just assumed they were anti-monarchists.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit