How Did 1975 Affect You?

by Perry 35 Replies latest jw friends

• KiraNOTKaren
    KiraNOTKaren

PS I could drive back then but I did not have my license yet because my father never took enough interest in me to make sure I got to the DMV to take my tests! Besides he always took the car and left it at the airport. I think after age 18 I only went to the Hall a handful of times. I never even got to know anyone in the new Hall (dad moved us a lot) that was how little I went

• Perry
    Perry
    My mother spent all her money, which was considerable, because "1975 is coming". Now she lives in my basement. Damn

Mulan,

You almost made me spit out my drink ... LOL

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

1975? Hmmmm, I was in the scouts, and the den mother told me that indians used to cut the tongue out of anyone that talked out of turn...the wench! I had a bad view of both indians and the scouts until I found out she lied.

• caligirl
    caligirl

Well, I was only 2, but I would say I was deeply affected....it played a large part in my parents becoming witnesses in 1974.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

When 1975 came around, I feel like my eyes were opened for the first time.

I was born that year.

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

Not much I was still an infant.

• Perry
    Perry

When I look back on my life, I know this event was pivitol in my development as a young man. And, it was extremely harmful and abusive. All I think about as an adult when I consider this event is Freddy Franz. And, as soon as I do that, Hank Williams Jr. starts singing in my head....

Well I'd like to spit some Beechnut in that dude's eye....and shoot 'em with my 'ole 45...'cause a Country Boy Can Survive....a Country Boy Can Survive.
  • Perry
    Perry

ikhandi,

yurr uhh, still a babe.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

A great deal. I pioneered in my last year of high school, to get a jump start; I got married in 1973 so that I would know what marriage and sex were like. Remember, there might not be marriage or children after armageddon; just lots of teaching of the resurrected. I did not go to college, despite good grades and aptitude tests. I passed on a few scholarships; why learn all that worldly wisdon? The "theocratic" brothers and sisters drove trucks, cleaned at night or laid carpeting to make a living. I put off some medical choices; why take care of them when the new system/order/system/world would fix them all? It was just plain selfish to do so. The biggest effect was deep inside, though; the reality of living past the date of 1975 and THEN living with the bull**** talks about how it was GOOD that it did not come in '75; (all those who now had a chance to come in!!); that "some of the brothers" got carried away in their expectations (yes they did; their names are Knorr and Franz)and so "ran ahead of the FDS". The effect of swallowing all that horse pucky is still with me. It is with all of us; we lived with two conflicting ideas in our head; one that knew all along that this was nonsense but was stifled; and the other that believed in the org as God's voice and shamed the doubter in our heads. And that same voice still tells me sometimes that I am an unworthy doubter. The damage that these men have caused can never be repaid.

• obiwan
    obiwan

I was only six at the time, but I do remember alot of that time. My father was a die hard jw at the time. The family didn't miss a family study or a meeting. School was real tough for me, not being able to partake in any holiday activities. My father went so far as to have a teacher call him if I even had a sip of someone's punch from their birthday party. I can remember asking my father about high school once, and he told me I didn't need to worry about it, because we would be in the "new system" by then.

He was a very strick man. After 1975, I noticed his attitude changing after that though, he wasn't interested in helping me with my talks I would give.( I started when I was six) The family studies were no longer consistent. Around the same time, we changed halls we went to, the reason that I was given, had to do with a disagreement with the Elder's. I can only assume it had something to do with 1975. After that, I think he was just going through the motions. We moved to a different state in 1983. I think that gave him his opportunity to fade, by 1985 after moving to another state, he hardly went at all.

The only thing that made him go back to meetings again, was my mothers death in 1988. Sad, he was almost out, and for some reason mom's death made him go back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit