How Did 1975 Affect You?

by Perry 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

blacksheep wrote:

And that crap has affected decisions I have made for my whole life. What a cockup. I'm really pissed off.

I feel ya, bro. Hang in, it gets better.

• High Castle
    High Castle

I'm back - online that is.

The best way I can describe the countdown to 1975 and its aftermath is to use the following analogy. Imagine a poorly scripted police drama where there is an obsessive attention to a countdown, say on display on a timebomb (seen that often enough, haven't ya?) , then the device reaches 00:00 and - nothing. The device just sits there and every one goes back to what they were doing just before. Oh, and to complete the analogy the chief of police denies that there ever was such an event.

The dilemna for me - and I believe others is there was no returning to routine afterwards. Especially as I and others drifted out in our teens afterward. If you spent your formative years as a Witness in training there was no prior life to resume. Nor more importantly was there a future to look towards.

If I have one grievance towards the Watchtower Society - and why I bother to post here - is that I believe I was robbed of a vision of the future. Oh yes, life goes on - with or without a reason. Bury the dead and feed the living.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

high castle wrote:

If I have one grievance towards the Watchtower Society - and why I bother to post here - is that I believe I was robbed of a vision of the future. Oh yes, life goes on - with or without a reason. Bury the dead and feed the living.

You have hit the nail on the head, for me anyway. I feel like i was scripted for an event that did not take place, and left unscripted for the future that we all have; family, jobs, homes, retirement, yearly goals and community involvement.

For that, I blame the boys at Bethel, who just go on buying property, printing presses and living in the apartments that WE have paid for all these years.

• sens
    sens

How Did 1975 Affect Me?

I was born.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Hey sens why the sad face about your birth...I think you've been a great addition to the forum.

I remember 1975..the build-up..2 yrs previous my best friend was killed in a car accident and I was told I'd see him shortly. Yeah right!

• starfish422
    starfish422

1975 affected me greatly insofar as it was the year I was born; perhaps my birth might have been overshadowed by Armageddon, had it actually shown up; but as it didn't, my birth was defnitely the highlight of the year for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit