WT Mtg "read scriptures" are only to be read by a 1 brother???

by Olivia Wilde 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onightdivine
    onightdivine

Yes... in our cong until last year anyone could raise their hands and read the scriptures cited during the WT study.

But now it's only 1 designated male reader throughout the program. And he doesn't even wait for others to find the scripture and goes on to read in his irritatingly loud grandstanding voice.

• prologos
    prologos
    OnTheWayOut
    are not supposed to analyze and tear it apart. I know you try to do that, but they don't care for you to, anyway.

the publications are an excellent tool to show the irrational makeup of the WTBtS beliefs. often I am ready with ample marginal notes a la' blondies non-comments, but sometimes a soundbite, if clearly read, brings up another "this is impossible" gem.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Hey, it's another way to put you 'sister' in your proper place. You're only good for being pioneers and kh cleaners. If you sisters don't like it---quit! Now that's an idea!

(disclaimer; just kidding sisters)

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• prologos
    prologos

eyeuse2badub
    2 hours ago

Hey, it's another way to put you 'sister' in your proper place. You're only good for being pioneers and kh cleaners. If you sisters don't like it---quit! Now that's an idea!------ Yeah, join the world, you could be the next Margret Thatcher, (who did not give up the falklands, or Mutti Merkel, who just this year alone will brings in 1 million+ new members. or the other current and past lady heads of state, and their husbands. added: an

In Commonwealth Countries, Aust. Can -- you would get to write, or read the speech from the throne, beats the wt magazine any time.

(disclaimer; just kidding sisters)

• blondie
    blondie

Things vary from congregation to congregation....when book studies were in the home (now bible study at the KH) usually there was a conductor and a "capable" brother assigned to read. At times he did not come and so the paragraphs were read

1) By one qualified sister

2) By the sisters one paragraph at a time in a row

3) By the conductor (which I saw done only once but insisted upon by the then PO)

Those scriptures are bolded in the study article and MUST be read. The others are optional and can be read by other jws if time permits. Since the brother assigned to read the paragraphs is supposedly prepared ahead of time reading those scriptures, I can see why the WTS wants it done that way. I have heard how brothers mangle reading out loud despite the school training.

I can see that it shouldn't be an opportunity for a young child to read it which I have seen done.

In the olden days, I was selected to read paragraphs because there were so few qualified men...we had 2 men who could not read that had been appointed MS! I even had the CO have me demonstrate how to read out loud at the door to put meaning into it.

It is not just lack of education but lack of interest. Few had college training when I was growing up, some had not even gone past 8th grade (non-jws too). But the bible was respected and everyone had good reading skills.

• Dunedain
    Dunedain
    @ - Olivia Wilde - Gotcha, that clears it up for me. I hadnt realised about the "must" read scriptures. I do remember all the scriptures that were quoted, and or put after the paragraphs, but i didnt remember there being "mandatory" to be read out load. I dont think that was around when i was there, but who knows, lol.
  • jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Well Folks,

The cong where I show up, here in Australia, even has 8 year olds reading and

unbaptised publishers. One elder tried to change that but the others over ruled

him 'to encourage all including the kids'

Jtg

• Ich3b
    Ich3b

April 22, 2012

TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS

Re: Reading scriptures at the Watchtower Study

Dear Brothers:

In January 2008, all bodies of elders were provided direction on how to handle the reading of texts marked “read” when conducting the Watchtower Study. At this time, we are pleased to reissue that direction for the benefit of those not familiar with it.

Should texts marked “read” be read by the assigned paragraph reader, or may someone else from the audience read such scriptures? This decision is left to the judgment of the Watchtower Study conductor. Nevertheless, texts marked “read” should be read by someone who reads well.

When should texts marked “read” be read? For the most part, this is being left to the discretion of the Watchtower Study conductor. At times, texts marked “read” will be cited at the very beginning of a paragraph, such as in a verse-by-verse consideration of a Bible passage. In that case, the texts should be read before the reading of the paragraph. However, other texts marked “read” might be read before the question is asked, particularly if the answer to the question is found in the scripture. Still other texts marked “read” may be read at some point during the general discussion of the material when other cited verses are considered. Please note that whereas in our audio recordings of The Watchtower texts marked “read” are read at the point that they are cited in the paragraph, this is not a pattern to be followed in the congregation Watchtower Study. At our congregation meetings, paragraph reading should be uninterrupted.

It will be advantageous for bodies of elders to review periodically the direction in the Shepherding textbook, chapter 2, paragraphs 24 and 25. In view of the foregoing, each elder should make the notation “See letter dated April 22, 2012, to all bodies of elders regarding reading scriptures at the Watchtower Study” next to the fifth bullet point of paragraph 25 in chapter 2 of the Shepherding textbook. For the meaning of the word “compare” when used before a cited scripture text, please refer back to The Watchtower of January 15, 2008, page 3, paragraph 4.

Please be assured of our appreciation for the fine work of Watchtower Study conductors in helping congregations get the sense of the spiritual food being supplied at the proper time.

We send our warm Christian love and best wishes.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11
    having just one reader for scriptures saves time with all the roving mike...and the sometimes poor readings....
  • wifibandit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit