WT Mtg "read scriptures" are only to be read by a 1 brother???

by Olivia Wilde 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Olivia Wilde
    Olivia Wilde
    We had CO visit recently & it appears that the CO told the elders of the congregation that the scriptures indicated on the WT to be "read" on the watchtower study are only to be read by 1 brother in the entire study.... the elder conducting the watchtower announced that at the WT mtg... i was like what??? Only men?.... has anyone else had this occur in their congregation?
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Yea it was in the letter when they sent directions on the "study edition" five or six years ago. Few congregations follow it

• Divergent
    Divergent
    If this is the case, then my congregation is definitely not doing things right. They went from having the magazine reader read the scriptures to opening it up for anyone to put up their hands & be called on to read... to the current practice - which is for bro's & sis's to be assigned by the magazine consuctor before the meeting to read the scriptures. I though that was stupid & that the previous practice of giving everyone in the audience a chance to read was the best
  • prologos
    prologos
    I , an old geezer, find the the practise of having different people read very distracting, degrading to the comprehension of the material, how can you analyse and tear it apart, if the thing is not clear. The worst is the new practise of the wt "study" at Circuit Assembly Days, where a succession of participants take turns on the stage on 3 mikes toeing their marks on the floor, to say their bit, each question a different voice, cadence, volume setting, --confounding, compounding the confusion.
  • Olivia Wilde
    Olivia Wilde
    Divergent: yes I thought it was good to have different readers just because it's just not males doing it, i wonder if this is another case of woman not have much of a role... don't think it even makes sense in their 144k doctrine either since it's made up of male & woman & only bros have a final say?? Crazy changes it finally got caught up at our hall now
  • Divergent
    Divergent
    Exactly... anyway for my cong, they do assign some sisters to read the scriptures too, BUT... there is a bias in the way they do it, such as scriptures being assigned mainly to elder's wives & other "spiritually strong" sisters who comment often. I was thinking - these ones ALREADY comment very often & are assigned further to read?? It gets sickening to hear these ones at the meeting over & over again. And since they are encouraged to read with feeling, they tend to put on an unnatural tone of voice when doing so. So irritating!
  • Dunedain
    Dunedain

Excuse my ignorance, here guys, but i havent been to a meeting in over 15 years, but what do you guys mean by reading the scriptures at the wt study? I always remember it being that there was a conductor, and a reader of every paragraph of the study article. After the reader would read the current paragraph, the study conducter would ask the questions for that paragraph, and anybody could answer.

Is it no longer like this?

Whats up with the "reading of scripture" part, or am i not remembering correctly, its been awhile, lol?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Yeah, they only read(past tense) the usually out of context scriptures if someone brought it forward in an answer. I wish they would skip the entire charade, but I'm not a factor in decision process. I love hearing that the congregations are defying the direction from bethel, though!!!Rebellion!!!!
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I , an old geezer, find the the practise of having different people read very distracting, degrading to the comprehension of the material, how can you analyse and tear it apart, if the thing is not clear.

I mean no disrespect, but I laughed and laughed at that comment. You are not supposed to analyze and tear it apart. I know you try to do that, but they don't care for you to, anyway.

Thanks. I know why people wonder about such practices, but really- do you want to have children reading and getting all proud of their participation? Let the guy read it.

• Olivia Wilde
    Olivia Wilde
    @Dunedain: yes you are correct that's how the WT mtg is conducted, do you remember the WT also having scriptures cited on the paragraphs? Well they are still there but now some say "read Luke 21:8" for i.e. meaning the scripture needs to be read whereas before it was left it up to the conductor to decide which ones he wanted to have read by whoever raises their hand & hrs choses bro/sis or a child... there are other scriptures that don't say "read" & normally the conductor doesn't have anyone read them.... hopefully that makes since.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit