Halloween / Birthday celebration

by River Song 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• River Song
    River Song
    New to the board, first time posting a topic. I just wanted to say how refreshing and sometimes funny it has been lurking here. So much so that I decided to sign up to this message board. My husband is a delight but not having ever been a part of the JW's doesn't really get a lot of my frustration after the fact. It's his birthday and Halloween today, two holidays that used to be so taboo to me all rolled into one. I spent all day yesterday cooking treats for him. I do birthdays up big now. My daughter is spending the day in her costume and we are going trick or treating later tonight. All normal things for everyone else but such exhilarating things for this born in JW who only started celebrating holidays 6 years ago. I hope everyone does something fun today, I know I will. :) - River
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Welcome to the forum River Song

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Welcome, River Song! Hope you have a great time today! :)

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Welcome! I always enjoy a good doctor who reference.

When you go trick or treating with your kids, do you ever have flash flashbacks? I guess the whole experience is pretty positive so hopefully not.

Have a great day you pagan, you.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Welcome and enjoy your day celebrating the people you love!

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Congratulations. I normally have a joint Halloween and Birthday party (birthday is 2 Nov). Unfortunately I am travelling this weekend so I won't be having a party this year.
  • chicken little
    chicken little

Welcome River Song, hope your husband enjoys his day and your daughter too. I just put a skull with a flashlight outside my door and a bowl of sweets with a skeleton hand in the bowl, all ready in case some of the kids come by...it is not really a big tradition here in Scandinavia but you never know...I have been out 9 years and this is the first time, so I am a slow learner.

All the best

Chicken little

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Welcome River Song. Have a great day!!
  • disillusioned 2
    disillusioned 2
    Hi, River Song. Love your name. Hope you enjoy your day. Have lots of fun. My daughter has just gone to work dressed as a zombie, her makeup was amazing. My kids are grown up and now enjoy Halloween, (outside of my house). Unfortunately because my husband is still a jw I can't even give the kids who knock on our day any treats. I have always felt mean not doing that even when I was a witness. I truly believe it's just a bit of fun. Wishing all of you who able to do it a Happy Halloween.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

Welcome river song, glad you found us. Yes, it's hard for a non JW to understand what it's like being in a controlling and destructive religion, but we have all been there, done that and get it.

I also am into Halloween big time, I am very much looking forward to it, my husband and I are going to be minions, not very original, but I think the kids will like it. We get tons of trick or treater, like 600, so we just sit on the porch and hand out candy all evening.

If you are able to do it we would love to hear more of your story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit