Christmas, yes or no ?

by jhine 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jhine
    jhine

Linda in any country people , not just men ( you say guys and I'm not sure what you mean by that ) eat , drink and are merry with no thought as to what Christmas celebrates - the coming of the Saviour into the world.

The amount of Christians in any country is probably quite small , l don't mean people who tick Christian on a hospital admission form .

I do go to Christmas church services and we hear , l have myself read , the Christmas story from Scripture . We sing carols, which are just Christmas hymns .

There are hymns specifically for Easter , Harvest Festival etc

We thank God for sending His Son into the world to be our Saviour.

Jan

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Like others, I was raised within So never had Christmas and don’t miss it. I don’t really want to do it. It all looks very silly, wearing paper hats and pulling crackers at the dinner table. I don’t like that kind of food anyway. I guess you could call me Scrooge , but there is little about it that appeals to me.

I have thought, that if I had done it, I would do it pretty low key. If I had a church then It would be a religious thing in my household. Midnight carols , Morning Service home to some kind of lunch and an agreement to give only small or handmade gifts . But that is fanciful with a family that view “ Christendom “ as the worst thing on earth !

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Absolutely I adore Christmas. When I was little I experienced Christmas at my grandparents, so I have fond memories.

After I left I l volunteered a few times with shelter to give me something to do that didn't make me feel guilty. Then I had my kids and didn't have an excuse, so I went all out (husband's never been a JW). I would even go to church with my brother in Cambridge to hear the choristers at Kings😔

I love the food but most of all I love the music more than anything and always have, so it's wonderful to be able to sing with gusto (yes I'm one of them!) now I know Watchtower is wrong!!

• jhine
    jhine

Diogenesister you sing your heart out .

Jan

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    To each his own, but I don't celebrate any holiday. They weren't part of my life growing up, so I don't feel the need to celebrate them now.
  • Linda14
    Linda14

I was raised in the church with Xmas as part of my background. I became a witness and learned why that festival is not for christians. Although I do not agree with the Org on some theological teachings, I do feel that their stand on Xmas makes sense. I don't see any scriptural reason to adopt Xmas as a religious festival. So it is a no for me.

I am not interested in church doctrines at all, I only want to know what is true and follow it. If that truth is against any church doctrine, even if it is my church, I don't care. Truth is truth. But some may receive a direction through vision or other divine means, I don't know, that I can respect, because no matter the bible understanding, one might actually be wrong. If really God still give supernatural direction today, that should be the highest authority as to what is really true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit