Christmas, yes or no ?

by jhine 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jhine
    jhine

I have just started to steep the mincemeat for my mince pies in dark rum .

Christmas is a big deal in my family and circle of friends. However among ex JWs it's a bit different or so l understand. Some fully embrace the celebrations others don't.

Are people comfortable explaining their attitude to Christmas? Have you managed to shake off the JW teaching or do you still feel guilty about celebrating the Festive Season ? Or maybe you are just a Scrooge .

I get that some of the traditions are of pagan origin and Jesus wasn't actually born on Dec 25th so JW apologists don't need to tell me these things .

I an curious about you folk who have escaped the Org.

Jan

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I don't bother with Christmas. I have no abiding childhood memory of it. It is meaningless to me.

If invited to a Christmas meal, I will go but probably can't enter into the 'spirit' of it like others.

I tend to get invited to the Polish family of my Grandkids. They do a Catholic kind of thing with wafers and prayers (I barely understand). this is always the day before British Christmas.

So, in answer to your question. No with a bland 'yes' but only out of obligation to family.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

When my family left the Watchtower we were all in on Christmas. We have even hosted Christmas at our house the past couple of years. My in-laws were never Witnesses so took over hosting to give them a break.

I love Christmas. To me Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus or Christianity even though it is in the name. I call it Yule as that is where the practice of decorating with evergreen trees and gift giving came from.

Nordic Brotherhood - The only sweater you'll need this Yule >  teespring.com/nb-valhalla-la | Facebook

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

It's ironic that it wasn't until after I stopped being religious that I felt comfortable saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" to people. Buying Christmas cards. Buying gifts. This year will be the one where I am most invested in it: I actually have plans for the gifts I will buy for several friends, instead of buying one or two things at the last moment on instinct.

I might even decorate!

• Ding
    Ding

I wasn't raised in the borg so it's easy and natural for me to celebrate Christmas.

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

Big YES. While I don't know any christmas songs, my wife and I fully embraced the decorating and doing christmas activities. Our children absolutely love all things christmas and it is truly a magical time for them.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

We host a fairly large international Xmas. It's a highlight of our year. If the ice is good, I clear an ice rink with lights around it, bond fire where we burn last years tree. We feature the traditions of a different county every year. (almost blew myself up with Mexican fireworks last year) It means a lot to see friends and catch up. Everyone has a stocking that usually has trivial trinkets and candy. It takes effort but last year when my health was so uncertain I needed a little Norman Rockwell escape. It meant so much to have everyone come like every other year.

People are the reason for the season.

If you don't now have a group to celebrate with, reach out to a workmate or distant family, you'd be surprised how good it feels to be welcomed.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@ Sloppyjoe2

I don't know any christmas songs

Well then, let me introduce you to a great Christmas carol to start you off.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/Bbu6AII10Pk

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

No. Can't "miss it" as I never had it. (Kinda like Punk above.)

I think too many families go way overboard on it and go into debt and it becomes a source of financial (and maybe relationship) trouble.

We take the grandkids to see the lights at several major displays here. One of which was very religious in relating the Christian Story Of Christmas and we thought it "odd" that they were not familiar with the Christmas Story even though they and their parents celebrate it as far as gift giving, etc. Seems to me that just being a member of our society here (USA) they should understand the Story of it all. BUT not my job to teach them. They have parents.

It's just way too commercial. We don't need a thing in the way of gifts. We're "blessed" in that way. Surely do not need another tie (won't ever wear one again)..........or sweater, etc. The only really good aspect of it is that everyone has the day off and it's possible to get together as a family. (Something we would not even consider doing when JDubs.)

• TonusOH
    TonusOH
    DesirousOfChange: I think too many families go way overboard on it and go into debt and it becomes a source of financial (and maybe relationship) trouble.

That is how I always saw it when I was a JW. And I know some people who dreaded Christmas because of that. But the friends I exchange gifts with usually find some small knickknack or other small but cool/funny item that makes the exchange relaxed and fun. Thanks to them, I got to experience it as an enjoyable get-together. I look forward to this time of year for more than just the handful of days off.

And again, I'm struck by how I never got to enjoy Christmas until I wasn't a "Christian" anymore. When I was a JW, I would rationalize why the people celebrating Christmas weren't as happy or excited as they seemed, why they were actually bitter and miserable. I think I was looking into a mirror and didn't realize it. I feel bad for people who are still like that, and am glad I got away from it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit