Christmas, yes or no ?

by jhine 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

My only abiding memory of Christmas is Star Wars on the telly.

I have to force myself to pretend to like Christmas though. I think being raised as a Jobot destroyed a lot of life's enjoyment.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

If it were just me, I couldn’t be bothered to keep up with the symbolism and demands. However the kids love it so I do it for the kids and family.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Jan, it's an interesting question for me since I have not embraced the holidays. I guess because I never celebrated, it seems silly for me to start now. I don't criticize anyone who does celebrate though. Frankly, there is waaaay too much criticism in the world as it is.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Anyone raised as a JW has a cultural deficit; they have no emotional attachment to Xmas, indeed, they may have emotional attachments to anti-Xmas memes.

Let me give you an example. Most of us on here do not have Asian heritage, correct?

What does the holiday Obon mean to you? Anything... anything at all?

Most who were raised as JWs don't have Obon, and they don't have Xmas.

• jhine
    jhine

I see your point Nathan but certainly in the West come December ( or even earlier) Christmas is everywhere. TV , shops , houses decorated etc . You can't even stay at home and escape it .

Jan

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, Jan, Christmas may be everywhere, but to the JW kid it is all WRONG and EVIL... in capital letters, too!

• LV101
    LV101

Love, love, love, Christmas -- everything like beautiful lights, decorated trees/ornaments, gorgeous wrapped boxes pictured and on display everywhere, home-baked specialty items, delicious foods, the amazing Christmas, music, caroling, amazing choirs at churches, schools, greetings to strangers that cheer many up. Many contribute more/help feed/donate and provide toys to the disadvantaged children and that's always beautiful.

Vandy - Thx for linking one of my fave songs. Can't wait to listen. Love Mariah Carey - O Holy Night (Official HD Video). Not a note the gal can't hit.

• jhine
    jhine

Nathan , that is what l was wondering about . It appears that some people who joined the WT as adults then left don't have hang ups about celebrating Christmas.

However probably most who were bought up as Witnesses would still feel guilty about it even after leaving the Org.

That's obviously a generalisation but l would think is pretty accurate.

Jan

• Linda14
    Linda14

God doesn't like worship that copies false worshipers. This was evident when Jews made the golden calf and when Jeroboam constructed an altar for God in Israel. Unless, there is a divine/supernatural direction to the contrary, I don't think that festival will be accepted by God. This is true when the festival is made a church service. But if it is sort of a secular occasion that has lost it's religious meaning, I wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

In some lands, guys gather to celebrate Christmas by eating and drinking, no church service at all. To them, the festival is just another secular enjoyment season. So yes, Christmas as a church service is a no for me.

What I don't agree is that birthdays are wrong because the bible contains only negative birthdays, at least as the WT understand it. Many scholars would see what job's children did on there days as birthdays.

• LV101
    LV101
    Always wanted to attend midnight mass at a Catholic Church as my friends in Catholicism -- they loved it and it's tradition for some. Maybe this year or the xmas decor at the Bellagio Conservatory - always so gorgeous. Have to arrive early at the Catholic churches here -- so packed at Christmas time and I've seen photos -- beautifully decorated and some professional musicians/singers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit