Christmas, yes or no ?

by jhine 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I grew up celebrating xmas.-even had parts in xmas programs. I remember my first part when I was 6 years old. A group of kids spelled out greetings from the church platform. I went first and mom told me to be loud so every one could hear. I started a bit early with my lines:" Greetings. I'll say Merry Xmas to you and wish you much of cheer, for happy birthday to Jesus, he's our savior dear." (61 years ago) After the program, Santa was in the church passing out stockings of candy,etc...I got overlooked. ( I must have been bad, lol!) Anyway, Santa being in the church shows up the falseness of the whole affair. But if one left JWs because of the falsehoods they found in the religion, how can they celebrate a false birthday? We don't know Jesus's birthday. Do you celebrate it just to defy the JW's? Some people who have left the JWs not only go about defying them, but also God Almighty and the Bible. Celebrating xmas does that. Maybe you want to be family inclusive....ok...but don't make that which is pagan into a holy affair...that doesn't work if you are honest.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

enough......baah humbug. Ludicrous. Jesus is depicted as celebrating Hanukah. An apostate religious holiday (with Solstice lights) if there ever was one. He is also depicted as celebrating the Passover reclining not standing up like the Bible says. Jews had by then adopted the Roman tradition of reclining at ease. He drinks 4 glasses of wine, not part of the OT instructions in fact prohibited due to the yeast Sanctimonious puritanism is not a reflection of the Jesus of the Bible.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I love Christmas! I couldn’t wait to celebrate when I left. I’m married to a Polish Catholic guy, and we have our traditions. Now that I’m retired, I have more time to bake. It was very important to me to make traditions for our family, since I didn’t grow up with any. We always let our daughter open 1 gift on Christmas Eve, it was usually pajamas. We set up a tree, have gifts, watch Christmas movies, and have a big feast on Christmas Day with family. While the kids are little, we remember to have a small cake and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Jesus is the Reason for the Season! Take that, Watchtower! I love Christmas!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

it will be an odd one for me this year. My wife is going home for a month ( Philippines)..to see her family--not been home since 2019. I'm not going.--so no decs or xmassy stuff this year

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JHINE:

I was raised Roman Catholic and I love Christmas. It reminds me of happy times in my childhood before I made the mistake years later of getting involved with the JWs.

I loved and still love the evergreens, the wonderful smells of cooking and baking, presents and seeing relatives!

I know about the ‘pagan’ origins and this doesn’t bother me since many things in our modern culture have pagan origins. For example: the days of the week and months of the year.

In my opinion, the REAL reason the Witnesses don’t want you celebrating Christmas and other holidays is because they don’t want you spending time in the company of non-Witness friends and relatives. They are afraid if you experience unconditional love by people who are not in the religion judging you every step of the way, you might not want to remain in the JW religion!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I grew up with Xmas so it is never a problem with me to celebrate with friends and family and i see it as a good time without the religious experience

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Yes, Xmas in our house before and after we left the Jdubs. Nonna would cook up a 7 course pasta meal. With Baked goods. Think of it fresh pasta. Red, fresh from the vine sauces. Everything fresh.

• jhine
    jhine

Sloppy , to me this is what Christmas is all about

. Pentatonix - Joy to the World (Official Video)

• jhine
    jhine

https://youtu.be/-Xo64Q2ucQ8

That might work

Jan

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

For many - even JW's - it's a brightly lit and colourful time of year when people appear happier & friendlier.

When I was still "in" a number of years ago, a long-time friend who was Catholic said that he wished he was a JW, because he hated the hypocrisy and expense of Christmas - especially the compulsion to buy presents for people at a designated time of year.

Probably billions of non-Christians get involved/profit from the "festive season."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit