what big change could bring down the watchtower?

by stan livedeath 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

Lack of money

so the watchtower has to start selling more kingdom halls off

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I would say a revoking of the tax exempt status.

Cash flow problems already are an issue.

• carla
    carla

Remember some old quote from a court case years ago where a jw said if the wt said this book was green (or was it black?) he would believe it? That is how I see jw's, no matter what happens there will always be diehards trying to justify any and all changes. Sadly my jw is one of them I think.

I'm too lazy at the moment to look up what exactly I am referencing but I know some of you know what I am talking about.

I think many jw's have so much invested in their 'faith' that giving it up would be admitting they were wrong and they just can't bring themselves to admit they were hoodwinked. Besides, it's the best way to live even if they are wrong.......blah.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't see a death blow to bring down WT, but a chipping away at it.
    So it would have to be big- a sex scandal involving the Governing Body, A Rutherford-like coop but the new leader takes the money and runs,

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    what big change could bring down the watchtower?

What would bringing them down do? Do you expect that people are not going to fall for something else? The WT ceasing to exist will not eliminate the real problem. I can't care less one way or another.

• venus
    venus

The Watchtower, October 15, 1969, pages 622-3 declared: "More recently earnest researchers of the Holy Bible have made a recheck of its chronology. According to their calculations the six millenniums of mankind's life on earth would end in the mid-seventies.”

If people were associating with religions because of some beliefs or doctrine, all JWs would have abandoned their faith in 1975.

People choose religious mostly for social reason, just like they choose various types of social clubs depending upon each one’s taste.

• Good JW
    Good JW

There's a difference between the structure/organisation of JWs and the religion/faith of JWs. In fact, many JWs expect the structure to fall down but their faith to remain in tact! This only reaffirms their conviction that Satan is attacking them.

The downfall I believe is already in process though (IMO); and that (amongst other things) = a dilution of previous values. The idea that they are different from the rest of Christendom is slowly eroding away. Other than the social value (the bonus of sticking together), there's not as much conviction of belief to make the average JW stay. Eventually I believe it will just become less cult-like and more like a mainstream religion, or else it'll fizzle out purely as a result of being so out of touch with reality (as the generations go on, there's less and less threat of feeling isolated since there's already been many who've "abandoned ship").

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    _Morpheus: the [Kingdom Hall] perpetual mortgage scam is a form of tithe

Good point. Makes me wonder if this isn't something that has legal requirements attached to it. Hmmm, may need to fire off emails to HMRC and the Charity Commission, just to make sure . .

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think the only thing that will hit them hard is if Shunning were made illegal. They would have to spin their change of stance as Noo Lite, and still possibly face litigation for all the deaths and pain this heartless, and unscriptural, unchristian practice has caused.

So they would fight something like this to the death, trying to circumvent the law as they do now, "we cannot control the decisions our individual members take".

Any Law on the matter would have to be carefully drafted, but, if this were to occur, their rigid Control is gone.

I don't think this will happen, but perhaps Public Opinion may force them to change on this, having the same result.

All of us can do our bit by telling the Public of this disgusting practice, (Shunning).

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

There will never be legislation that prohibits shunning, how could it possibly be enforced?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit