by compound complex 40 Replies latest social humour

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Do you air on the side of caution?

Or........ In An Elevator?..

Image result for Fart in an elevator

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to
    i remember a brother saying he was going to talk about your anus we were shocked at first until it became obvious he was talking about the planet aah good old WT education better than a Uni or college
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I don't know if the following is close to the OP's topic but it's pretty clever.

It's another Two Ronnies sketch where the whole conversation is subtitled using letters only.

Judging by the dodgy attempts at the sing-song accent, they're supposed to be Swedish, I think.

Enjoy ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-mX9T2qyIQ.

• compound complex
    compound complex

That's great and s.p.o.t.o.n., LoveUniHateExams!

THANK YOU!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@CC - cool!

Also, different accents can confuse things further.

I live in Bolton, and locals pronounce there as thurr. No surprise thurr.

They also may pronounce the letter r as a retroflex r not only initially but in other places in a word, a bit like Americans do. So, the r is pronounced in words such as north, thirty, etc.

Some locals substitute a final -t with this retroflex r sound - e.g. put it back becomes purrit back, etc.

Some speakers - and I find this strange - pronounce car as 'care'.

So when some people say 'bear-cawd', they're talking about that black and white stripy thing found on supermarket items that gets scanned before you pay the total.

The word care is, of course, pronounced like the French word coeur (similar to the sound change in there > thurr, above).

I don't know how locals pronounce the word cur (as in thou prick-eared cur).

I don't like to ask because they might think I'm taking the p1ss ...

• Simon
    Simon
    I live in Bolton, and locals pronounce there as thurr. No surprise thurr.

And Bolton is pronounced more like "bouwltun" (we were just a bit further down in Salford "ay'up then ..."). I'm rusty, but Sinead's on Corry is a Bolton accent, right?

So many glorious accents and phrases in and around Manchester and the North of England.

And the Two Ronnies, especially Ronny Barker, were genius at "language comedy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ4a2BzXjC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz2-ukrd2VQ

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm rusty, but Sinead's on Corry is a Bolton accent, right? - I don't watch Corrie, so I don't know. For me, Bolton accents are Amir Khan's, Vernon Kay's, Peter Kay's and Paddy McGuinness's (Farnworth is close enough!).

So many glorious accents and phrases in and around Manchester and the North of England - yes, I agree.

I don't want to go off-topic so I think I'll start a new thread about languages, dialects & accents.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

We had an elder who used to say in all seriousness he wasn't a good speaker because he had a peach inspediment. Another one thought placebo was pronounced place bow. This guy thought casting nasturtiums was the original phrase.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There's a bathroom on the right

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So I was the school overseer. This teenage boy was going to go up and introduce the Service Meeting for the first time as the segue after the school. I walked to the back of the hall and he had notes and was nervously reading them. I heard him say "With nothing further to do..."

As a die-hard JW and the school overseer, I couldn't let him do it, although it would have gotten some laughs.

I said "...it's 'Without further ado.' " He didn't believe me, so I said, "Well, it is. Say what you want then." He said it my way. I wish I just let him say it wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit