What is the alternative to JW?

by Formerbrother 475 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

FormerBrother, the truth closest to the Bible is the Bible I think it is less important to lead you to another group (that has its own agendas) and more important to lead you to what the Bible is all about. I'm not as familiar with Mormonism but I hear it has similar characteristics of the Watchtower; perhaps, that's why it feels comfortable.

You seem to focus on the preaching work exclusively. Have you considered Galatians 1:15-19 that Paul did not preach in twos? Or Acts 8 where Philip meets the Ethiopian eunuch on the road, was he paired up? Where is the biblical command to preach in twos? Yes, Jesus told his disciples to go out make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (hmmm, does the Watchtower do that?) But how to do so was not written in stone. Furthermore, would you agree that the content of preaching is significantly more important than the mere act of preaching? There are many people preaching many things; that doesn't make it true or make them any more righteous, Christian or closer to God. What is being said matters. The phrase "garbage in, garbage out" comes to mind. Is the Watchtower preaching the gospel spread by the apostles? The Watchtower is not the true religion because it teaches clean living or some Biblical truths (and even those lessons are debatable). Most moral and religious systems have many of the same principles. The difference of Christianity is Jesus. Not just that he lived and died (many will admit a historical Jesus), but that he died for our sins, rose from the dead in a physical body, and lives forever to intercede for those who come to God through Him (1 Corinthians 15:1-4; Hebrews 7:25).

Someone mentioned the church without walls; this is not just some hippy-dippy concept. The church is not the building; it is the body of believers in Jesus Christ for salvation and forgiveness of sins. It sounds like you're seeking a physical place of worship. I attend worship services at a church, but first and foremost is what they're saying. I wouldn't advise you to just show up anywhere but many of the 30,000 sects of Christianity will do just fine. And you can definitely cross the WTBTS off the list as they have proven themselves false. Again: start and end with prayer and read the Bible for yourself away from the Watchtower literature. Read entire chapters and books at a time. Just think: do you read other books by jumping from one sentence in Chapter 2 to three in Chapter 5 to the last page? The Bible looks a lot different when you read it in context. Lastly, give yourself time. There is no substitute for hard work. Once you know the Bible for yourself, it's more difficult to be misled by side issues, non-issues and made-up rules. Keep the main thing the main thing--Jesus!

• talesin
    talesin

To the OP:

You could try the Universalist Unitarian Church - they are ecumenical; so much so, that even atheists can belong. They have a church here, and are very community-oriented, and a nice bunch of folks.

I don't attend any church, nor do I want to. If you're looking for community, and whatever you mean by 'spiritual', one of those, the UU's might fit.

Their Seven Principles:

1. 1st Principle: The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
    2. 2nd Principle: Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
    3. 3rd Principle: Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
    4. 4th Principle: A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
    5. 5th Principle: The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
    6. 6th Principle: The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
    7. 7th Principle: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    FBro - but then there must be something else to believe in?

There isn't just 2 choices, as I see it.

I took 5 years and concluded the religion is a load of nonsense. It's a long story.

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

Then stay where you are. That is your choice. You're right-- millions are preaching something. Some because they don't know any better, some because they're children and don't have a choice in the matter. If it doesn't matter if it's correct or that it's leading you away from Jesus and into a never-ending pursuit of good standing with a manipulative organization, then it will do.

God says, you will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart (Jeremiah 29:13). You're obviously not interested in doing that. You ignore everything else I (and others) have written and question the advice to know the Bible for yourself and be discerning about a place of worship. You want someone to spoon feed their truth to you. The Watchtower is good for that. Take care.

• jhine
    jhine

Like Outsider I'm going to say stay just where you are . We have all pointed out the problems with the WT -

Lying to members ,

Protecting paedophiles ,

Not doing good works , eg looking after the hungry and homeless ,

False prophecies .

The simple answer is find a church that does not have these problems .

Every Christian Church preaches the Gospel , just not how YOU think they should .

However as already stated you aren't really interested in an answer to your question , so stay put .

Jan

• Alive!
    Alive!

Hi,

I was a fast learner when I initially got pulled into a 'study' with JWs. I quickly mastered the art of learning how all the bible books are organised, picking out 'special' scriptures.....learning the mystical 'equation' from daniel and revelation that makes 1914...

Long time ago now.

Oh, and I learned how JWs were involved in a separating work, actually dividing the sheep from the goats. Those who turned down God's provision of a 'holy' magazine at their door, were in effect, turning away from and rejecting God. This belief and doctrine was valid right up to the early 90s.

A 'no thank you' to me standing at their door was in fact a rejection of my message from God - according to the WTBTS.

Yet my magazines, leaflets and publications contained erroneous 'truths' it would later turn out...

I thought we were 'different' to other religions ....

Just my thoughts.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Why are you so obsessed with the preaching work? Doesn't it matter WHAT is being preached? Perhaps not, since you think the Mormons are sticking close to the bible (Do some research into their beliefs and the difference between their 'milk and meat.' On the surface it all seems so rosy, but in the deeper reality, it is very, very weird. So are witnesses' beliefs, actually). A cult is a cult.... does it make it any better that they are preaching far and wide? Does that make it more true?

Former brother, go walk into a real church and ask some questions.

• Formerbrother
    Formerbrother
    Why are you so obsessed with the preaching work? Doesn't it matter WHAT is being preached? Perhaps not, since you think the Mormons are sticking close to the bible (Do some research into their beliefs and the difference between their 'milk and meat.' On the surface it all seems so rosy, but in the deeper reality, it is very, very weird. So are witnesses' beliefs, actually). A cult is a cult.... does it make it any better that they are preaching far and wide? Does that make it more true?

Former brother, go walk into a real church and ask some questions.

-

Yes I know the Mormons have some very weird ideas about aliens and they will all be gods ruling over the rest of us when the aliens come back to Earth. I think that is all nonsense.

But I still think the Mormons are the next best alternative, compared with every other option we have come up with in this thread. If this is wrong then please come up with another suggestion? Who do you think is the best alternative to JW's?

Which real church are you suggesting please? Im serious please suggest which one I want to look into it?

• Formerbrother
    Formerbrother

So to sum up what options we have come up with so far on this thread:-

1. No religion, the Bible is just another book written by men, so you then have to believe in Evolution.

2. There is a creator, but JW's are not the closest to the truth, but after 21 pages of hundreds of posts, we still cant find another alternative.

3. Is there a third option?

• Formerbrother
    Formerbrother
    Hi,

I was a fast learner when I initially got pulled into a 'study' with JWs. I quickly mastered the art of learning how all the bible books are organised, picking out 'special' scriptures.....learning the mystical 'equation' from daniel and revelation that makes 1914...

Long time ago now.

Oh, and I learned how JWs were involved in a separating work, actually dividing the sheep from the goats. Those who turned down God's provision of a 'holy' magazine at their door, were in effect, turning away from and rejecting God. This belief and doctrine was valid right up to the early 90s.

A 'no thank you' to me standing at their door was in fact a rejection of my message from God - according to the WTBTS.

Yet my magazines, leaflets and publications contained erroneous 'truths' it would later turn out...

I thought we were 'different' to other religions ....

Just my thoughts.

-

Alive, so what do you think is the alternative? Do you think the bible is just another book written by men?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit